Monday, November 7, 2011

Look What I Found At Target

 http://www.getfitbook.com/
After I finished my work out this morning...walking 5 miles, 50 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 tight and tone butt lifts, and 400 mixed weight repetitions (I felt motivated, so I did an additional 100 kettle bell lifts), I was ready for a trip to Target.  I swear sometimes I think I keep those folks in business.  But, I had a shopping list.  Basically, it consisted of things I had forgotten to get over the weekend like cat food, American cheese for my youngest's grilled cheese sandwiches, moisturizing hand soap for the kitchen, sugar free chocolate minis, mechanical pencils, a new book my son could take to school (I won't let him take the kindle), and some girl stuff I really don't need to mention. You know, the stuff husband's are frequently too embarrassed to go to checkout with?  He would get it if I asked, but honestly, I try my best not to put him through that.  It might damage his macho aura or something.
When I have time, I like to just browse around the store and see what's new.  In the back of the store, they were packing away all the Halloween items and replacing them with Christmas candies, lights, ornaments, and such.  It always bugs me how stores rush through the holidays.  I mean, let me get to Thanksgiving before I have to focus on Christmas.  But, I guess they figure folks will be out shopping early for the perfect gifts.  And let's not forget, the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year.  So I just smile and mentally prepare myself to be overwhelmed with the surge of consumerism, things like sales and the steady flow of annoying catalogs we get in our mailbox, catalogs that seem to multiply even though I stop them every year.
As I walked around the store, I popped my head into what has quickly become my place of peace...the section where they sell workout supplies, equipment, DVDs, and books.  Today, I spotted something new and special.  It was a little pricey, around $20.00, but I thought it would be worth it in the end.  What I found was the "Fit Book".  Its a lot like the blank book I write in every day, but in addition, it has instructions and step by step guides to get you to your goal whatever that may be.  You develop a game plan, track your progress, and best of all...you see it happening on paper.  I've been saying it all year in my blog...To me, keeping a log or journal has been the most effective way of staying on track.  This little book is filled with useful tips and resources.  There is a food log guide, a nutrient tracker, and get this...it even uses the smiley faces I love so much.  Were they reading my blog or what?   The Fit Book runs on a 12 week plan.  You begin by taking your measurements and current stats like weight and body fat.  Then, you write down you work out and nutrition goals.  You record strength training, cardio, and flexibility exercises.  At the end of each week, you track how you did.  There is even a space for rewards.  So, do you want to lose weight, drop a jean size, bench press your body weight?  This book will work for both males and females.  I especially like the little circles you fill in to show if you got eight glasses of water during the day.  Kind of reminds of those tests we took as kids.  Fill in the entire block or it won't count.  Did you bring a number two pencil?  No problem.  It even comes with a pen.  I absolutely can't wait to get started.  I like this so much, I bought one for my Stepdaughter.  We work out at the same time, but she hasn't kept a journal of her progress that I know of.  Its going to be fun and challenging, yet easy as pie.  (Mmmm...pie)...  : )  You know what?  It would work for kids as well.  They should have these in the schools as part of the health curriculum.
So, my only question is...can I use what I did today or should I begin after I get my measurements?  Maybe I can wait until tomorrow.  My husband needs to show us how to work that body fat measurement thingy on his super cool Brookstone scale.  Let me know if you get one, okay?  Make good choices.          

No comments:

Post a Comment