Tuesday, November 1, 2011

After All This Healthy Eating, Is My Heart Still Unhealthy?


Back in 1996, my husband and I were discussing the idea of having a baby.  We were both Desert Storm veterans and Gulf War Illness was very real to us.  We'd had symptoms and, before we had a child, we wanted to be sure it was safe.  I participated in the Comprehensive Clinical Evaluation Program (CCEP).  The test frightened me right off the bat.  When they handed me the initial form to complete, the first questions were "how many miscarriages have you had?  Two? Three? Four or more?"  I held my breath and proceeded with the evaluation.  Eventually, I got to the portion at Walter Reed.  The doctor in charge called me in to his office.  He said, "I just want you to know that even though I don't believe there is such a thing as Gulf War Illness, we are going to evaluate what is bothering you and treat it accordingly."  I'll admit, his attitude made me walk out shaking my head in confusion.  But I said nothing.  My purpose for being there was to clear the way so my husband and I could have a child together.  I wasn't looking for a fight.  I was looking for answers.
In the end, they decided two things.  They put me on a medication for my chronic migraines (what they gave me didn't work, but at least they recognized that having migraines since 1991 was not normal.  No worries, I finally got a preventative medication in 2002 that did seem to work.  I took it until earlier this year).
They also found that I had high cholesterol.  They didn't put me on a regular medication.  They gave me a diet plan and suggested I take "Garlique" garlic pills as an over the counter supplemental.  You know what?  It actually worked, at least for me.  
This past October 26, I had picked up a copy of blood draw lab report and set it aside.  Remember, the doctor was concerned about my insufficiency of Vitamin D?  Well, this past weekend, I had time to spare so, I decided to take another look at that lab report.  Admittedly, it was pretty much gibberish to me...doctor speak.  But I did hone in on a familiar foe...my high cholesterol.
UGH!  How, with all this healthy eating, could I still have high cholesterol and why hadn't that lady who called about the vitamin D mentioned it?  I told the Nurse Practitioner I had a history of High Cholesterol.  I decided to do some research on my own.
My cholesterol, according to the blood test, was at 213 and the form read "high".  Oooo...scary.
Then I remembered...I once read that an overall cholesterol reading was misleading, that it was like someone telling you a total football score without specifying the individual team scores.  You would never do that, right?  You needed to know how each team fared.  With cholesterol, your "teams" are the HDLs and LDLs.  You have to know your HDL and LDL scores to accurately determine whether or not you are in danger of losing the game (or harming your heart).  Now, try this.  I found this helpful link from the American Heart Association.                      

http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_300301.pdf

As it turns out, my HDLs are high (88) which is good.  High HDLs mean lower risk.  My LDLs are optimal at 114.  Nice.  Even my Triglycerides are normal.  According to the AHA, I shouldn't be worried or anxious about the "high" 213 number.  I may still adjust my diet to include more cholesterol lowering foods, but my healthier eating habits seem to be working fine.  
Worried about your cholesterol?  Try these recipes.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/CholesterolToolsResources/Low-Cholesterol-Recipes_UCM_305655_Article.jsp


No comments:

Post a Comment