Thursday, December 1, 2011

More, More, More

I've added nine miles today and I'm thinking of going for another walk before nightfall.  Nightfall comes rather early now that we stepped in December.  I cannot believe its almost over but, I am happy with all I've accomplished this year...so far.
Today, I did my five miles on the treadmill at a 4.3 pace, with an incline up to 10.  I was bookin'.  I felt strong.  Sure, my knees hurt and my foot threatened to cramp up on me but, I just told myself..."Focus on something else.  You will be fine."  I watched "The Today Show" and, I was...fine that is.
Afterwards, I did my normal routine of exercises but, somehow it wasn't enough.  Lately, I've wanted more and more.  I've wanted to push myself and just doing my normal routine isn't enough.  Some might think its because I am in the final phase of my year long fitness journey, that, perhaps I am only pushing myself until I reach my goal and return to the status of sexy couch potato.  They would be wrong.  For one, I met and surpassed my goal months ago.  I am now drawing ever closer to the 1400 mile mark, 400 hundred miles more than I set out to walk.  Its not about goals anymore.  Its about loving who I have become.  I have regained my self respect and my sense of self worth.  I have taken personal responsibility for my health.  And well...it feels amazing.  There wasn't a pill or a magic diet involved.  My friends and family would tell you I never seem to stop eating.  I am merely more aware of what I put into my body.  I read labels, I don't really count calories.  I just "aim low"..low calorie, low sugar, low sodium.  I exercise because it makes me feel lighter, more limber, and less prone to injury.  And, when I am injured, I heal at what appears to be super speed.  I watch what I eat because I have a family history of type two diabetes and because I care about my body.  I walk because its what I am physically capable of doing, its easy and it works.
Anyway, my normal workout downstairs wasn't enough.  I wanted more.  I opened the front door but, the temps were still in the 30's...too chilly for me.  I opted to hang with an old friend instead, Ms. Leslie Sansone.  I went to my On Demand menu, Exercise TV, and sought out the walk section.  With my old friend Leslie, I did a 20 minute cardio routine.  Its funny but, I can remember when Leslie was a challenge to me.  This morning, I was left inevitably wanting more.
When my Stepdaughter came up after her workout, I asked if she wanted to go to the mall and walk a bit.  The mall is absolutely wonderful during weekdays when no one is there...its quiet and there are no crowds except maybe the one to see Santa.  I wonder what he'd say if one of us went up there and sat on his lap.  I'd bet he'd love that!  We still had a little time left before we had to head home so we popped in to Costco and got a shrimp tray.  My thought was that, combined with a steamed veggie, that shrimp would make an excellent low calorie/high protein dinner.  I apologize if you are allergic.  Me? I just love shrimp.  I can't get enough.  Just call me Bubba Gump, because I will eat shrimp anyway one can cook it.  As my father used to say, "Keep it comin' cause, I love me some shrimp."
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-shellfish-shrimp-cooked-moist-heat_f-ZmlkPTYyMzgx.html
After we got home, we realized we were nearly out of Chobani.  I walked to the nearest grocery store but, they were "bloom-ing" expensive there..about $1.50 each.  OUCH!  I bought a few of the Oikos Greek as well.  They were only $1.29 each.  But, I can't complain.  I did get to walk there.  And you know what I say...IT ALL COUNTS...  I just wish the stores with the lower prices were closer.  With yogurt, you can't go too far.  You have to keep refrigeration in mind.  
Better go.  My youngest just got home and I've still got a couple of loads of laundry to do.  I'll take each stack upstairs individually so as to get more exercise.  Remember to make good choices.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment