Monday, December 5, 2011

Fourteen Hundred Miles And The Sky Is Falling


 My Journey To Date:
Total Miles Walked -1402
Weight repetitions - 60,500
Sit ups, crunches - 17,000
Push ups - 7850
Butt lifts - 11,500

This morning, as I cruised past the 1400 mile mark, the last of our post storm repairs began....the new roof.  Its rather disconcerting, the ripping and pounding disturbing my normally calm and quiet surroundings here in the heart of suburbia.  One would think my nerves would be on edge with all the stomping around.  They aren't.  I am perfectly fine.
When I realized the workers had begun demolition (if that's what they call it), I had to stop in the middle of my workout.  I ran out, completely drenched from sweat, and backed my car out of the garage.  Then I went back down and finished.  Down in the basement, I could barely hear them but, while I was in the shower, it felt like they were right above me.  The blinds were closed and I was expressly careful not to walk around partially clothed.
I'm not the exhibitionist I used to be.  I guess, with age, comes some modesty.
My Stepdaughter and I had to run an errand.  When we walked out the front door of our home, all these pieces began to fall.  I laughed and asked her if we should grab the umbrella or merely make a run for it.  We decided to just make a run for it and hope we didn't get covered by debris.
As we made our way to the car, I looked back to find nearly a dozen men on our roof and all but one or two were staring at us.  Mmmm...weird.  Maybe they were just looking at my car.
Soon after we returned from our little errand, the maid service showed up.   I'm sure they loved that.  I really hope no one falls off the roof ogling the pretty ladies.
So, our home is filled with all sorts of interesting noises today...the constant pounding on the roof and the hum of vacuuming inside.  The cat?  She hiding somewhere.  After today, we might not see her for days.
And here I sit...silently disbelieving the fact that I have walked over 1400 miles this year... its a bit overwhelming, you know?  Maybe my husband was right.  Maybe I will reach 1500 miles before the end.   Who could have guessed I would go this far beyond my goal?  All I know is...I'm on my way.      

No comments:

Post a Comment