Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Honey, Where Did I Put Baryshnikov?

This morning, I was distracted like the Dug the Dog from the movie "Up" (2009).  I was attempting to gather old clothes, blankets, and such for our upcoming donation to the National Children's Center when I came across a poster tube.  Squirrel!
But it wasn't what I had hoped.  I had hoped to find the old poster I had from my youth, that of Mikhail Baryshnikov.  Every morning, I go down to our basement gym and walk on that treadmill.  And every morning, I see that calendar of the Redskins cheerleaders, and that weightlifting lady that gave my husband an autograph at one of his conference shows.  Me?  I want my own motivation.  I want to be motivated by Baryshnikov.
So, I started my workout a little later than usual.  I became a woman on a mission.  I searched and searched but, I never found my elusive dancer.  I even thought I might find a replica online...but the poster I have...it just isn't out there.
Now, you might be wondering...why Baryshnikov?  I never danced ballet.  I've never even been to a ballet.  I am not of Russian descent.  I am a mix of Irish, English, and Scottish.  To be honest, I couldn't tell you why.  Perhaps Ophelia explained the attraction best..."That unmatched form and feature of blown youth, blasted with ecstasy.  Oh woe is me to have seen what I have seen, see what I see."  That poster of Baryshnikov got me through my teenage years and, even with over a dozen moves, I've never gotten rid of it.  It is somewhere buried in the catacombs of this home and I have to find it.  
So, when my husband called this morning, it was the first thing that came to my mind (after I love you and miss you of course).  I asked, "Honey, where did I put Baryshnikov?"  He knew exactly what I meant.  "Its in the house somewhere", he replied, "probably in the storage room.  Why?".
I explained to him that I needed motivation while I work out.  "What do you mean?  Doesn't the (Redskins cheerleader) calendar motivate you?  You look just like them now."  He's such a sweet talker.  "No, I don't."  I laughed.  "I look better.  Anyway, I don't want to look at half naked 20 something cheerleaders when I work out.  That doesn't motivate me.  I'm a woman.  I want to look at Baryshnikov.  Now...he motivates me."
"Well, we'll look for him when I get home."
I have such a supportive husband.      

No comments:

Post a Comment