Sunday, December 4, 2011

Tis The Season To Party Naughty

Last night, my husband and I attended a holiday party at a co-workers home.  I was worried.  Would I be able to resist the usual massive quantities of decadent goodies that always seem to cover brightly colored tables at events such as these?  
When we walked in, we were greeted by our host in his "I've been good this year" Santa hat.  My husband was wearing his new "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" hat.  Our hostess was in the kitchen hurriedly preparing the finishing touches.  Almost everyone had dressed up for the occasion.  I was glad.  As I told my husband before we left, I was excited just to be wearing something besides workout clothes for a change.  No jeans for me.  I was wearing a dress.  
The host and hostess had a great idea for the evening's festivities.  They asked the guests to bring in gently used coats that they would in turn donate to a local charity.  We managed to come up with four or five we didn't need anymore.  I was surprised because we had just donated a bunch of bags of old clothes to the National Children's Center (or was it the Lupus Foundation of America?).  I can't remember, but I know we had donated coats as well.  We usually donate several bags every couple of months to whomever calls first.  
Their home was absolutely beautiful and the food looked amazing.  I had to laugh at the table centerpiece...a silly rendition of a reindeer with the peanuts strategically placed to the rear of the deer to symbolize well...deer poop.  I love a good sense of humor.
My husband poured us each a glass of Cabernet and we mingled a bit.  Then, we went grazing.  There is no other way to put it.  You grab a little paper appetizer plate and begin taking a bit of this and that.  There was a lot to choose from...cheeses, crackers, fruit, reindeer poop (AKA nuts), crab dip, veggies and cocktail shrimp.  I was extremely happy to see that most of what they had chosen to serve was relatively healthy.  This is often the most difficult time of the year to make healthy choices.
I detoured around the pepperoni and the meatballs in the slow cooker and I skipped the main dish, the andouille sausage gumbo with a side of warm bread.  No sausage and no pepperoni for me this year.  You know what?  The no beef, no pork restriction I placed myself on at the beginning of the year?  I'm going to continue it in 2012.  It works for me.  And you know what I say...whatever works, be it low sugar, low sodium, or low carb...go for it.
All in all, I wasn't too naughty last night.  I admit I filled my plate three times (they were really small and I missed dinner) and I did have a small chocolate cookie.  I doubt its going my alter my current status on Santa's list.  I hope I am on the nice list.  Mmmm...Is there an APP that lets you know your up to date naughty/nice Santa list status?  
When we came home, it wasn't long before I crashed on the couch.  I ended up going to bed early but I didn't sleep.  I was way too wound up to sleep.  I just lay there watching Saturday Night Live with the hubby.  Well, I watched through my eye lids.  He was tired as well so I presume he did too.  What can I say?  We aren't the night owls we once were.  But...we did get up early this morning and work out.   Between the two of us, we burned around one thousand calories.        

No comments:

Post a Comment