Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Real Men Grill In Winter

I daydreamed about it all day yesterday, my husband's salmon.  Last night, he rubbed spicy mustard on it.  He gave me a choice, that or blackened (cajun style).  I didn't really care.  I love them both.  And I love watching him grill.  He just pulls the Weber (that I bought him on Father's Day a couple of years ago) right up to the sliding door, and gets to grilling.  And I know, when he's grilling, he is a happy camper.  I mean, I ask you, what man doesn't like to grill?  I figure its like blogging is to me.  It lowers his stress level.  Its something he does, and he knows that only he can do it well (at least in this house).  I don't grill unless you count marshmallows on a stick by a campfire...I can brown a marshmallow just right for smores.  For my international readers, smores are made by roasting a marshmallow, adding a piece of a chocolate candy bar and sandwiching it between two graham crackers.  You haven't lived until you tried one...trust me.  Mine lately have been made with sugar free dark chocolate.  Great.  Now I am craving smores.
Well, back to grilling.  Standing there just watching stuff cook...not for me.  Besides, I am not about to stand there in the cold (he'll be grilling even when there is snow on the back deck).  Me?  I'm just fine inside the warm house steaming the vegetables.  Last night, it was spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower.  And everything tasted amazing.
Its funny but, I never had fresh Salmon as a kid.  I mom used to make salmon cakes from some stuff she got from a can.  I liked her salmon cakes a lot but, I never really knew what I was missing until I had my husband's grilled salmon filet.  That got me addicted.
A dear friend of ours makes regular visits to Alaska to fish.  I say dear friend because who else but a dear friend would pack up fresh salmon he personally caught to send it home with my hubby just to make me smile.  And oh, by the way, this dear friend was also my very first boss back when I was an enlisted soldier in Germany.  As he likes to tell folks, he's known me since I was nineteen, longer than practically anyone.  One day, I might even make it to Alaska myself...catch of few of those salmon.
Wait a minute...bears.  Don't they have those big bears in Alaska?  Okay...maybe I'll let my dear friends take care of me in the salmon department.  And it would be taking care of me.  After all, salmon is full of protein and it provides a whole day's supply of vitamin D.   Remember vitamin D?  Doc says I need to have more of that, right?  Mmmm...  All I can say is...just set me down with a plate full of yummy salmon.  Salmon also has a healthy supply of omega-3's, B6, B12, niacin, calcium, selenium and magnesium.  Oh, and don't forget the veggies of course.  My new primary care provider (whom I really like) just reminded me that, though I am being very good in taking my vitamin supplements, I need to continue getting as much as I can from the foods I eat.  No worries, Doc.  I have that all taken care of.  I'm good to go.  I have a man that grills even in winter.    

2 comments: