Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Smell Of Brownies

 Its nearing noon on a rainy Wednesday morning.  My Stepdaughter and I are sitting here watching "The Biggest Loser" on demand.  No choice.  We miss it every Tuesday night.  It conflicts with "Glee" and well..we just won't miss Glee.
It already seems as if its been a full day.  I had coffee with my husband, saw our youngest off to school, and by 0830hrs, I had completed my workout.  This morning, combined with what I did last night, I added eight more miles to my total for the year bringing me to one thousand four hundred and eighteen miles.  In case you haven't guessed, I've decided to shoot for fifteen hundred.
This morning, I faced a new challenge.  Our son has a big scout event tonight and I'm baking brownies... sweet, warm, chocolaty, totally sinful brownies.  Many of you have been in my shoes.  Our home smells so wonderfully decadent right now.  You can't escape it.  Really, why would you want to?  The smell of brownies takes one back to a simpler time, to childhood, to mom.  During childhood, brownies are a reward for well...being a kid and having an amazingly fast metabolism.
As an adult, most of us don't have that kind of metabolism anymore.  Its not fair.  I mean, how often have you had to make some sugary dessert for the kids?  Have you been able to somehow resist the temptation to sneak one yourself?  
I've been there.  I love chocolate.  Long long ago, a dear friend of my mother made me a beautiful lace dress for my 1st birthday.  I still have it packed away in the cedar chest.  I symbolizes the me that will never change.  That lovely little dress has a huge chocolate ice cream stain.  Be it ice cream, cake, or my husband's homemade chocolate chip cookies, there is no doubt about it.  I have always loved chocolate.
Even now, one might think I am torn between being naughty and being nice.  Strangely, I am not.
I haven't overcome some addiction and my love of chocolate has never subsided.  How I can resist nibbling on the crusty edges or even the moist center of those brownies?  The truth is I don't really desire one.  I have discovered alternate means to satisfy my need for chocolate.  And it is a need.  I know.  I know its not listed under Maslow's hierarchy of needs.  But it should be...don't you think...right there next in the physiological...right next to sex?  Well, you know what I say...Who needs to cheat?   I'm going to sit right here, watch "The Biggest Loser" marathon and have a tiny piece of that no sugar added Guylian Belgian dark chocolate.  Mmmmm.  Nice.   http://www.guylian.com/en/discover-guylian/chocolate-bars/no-sugar-added-bar/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment