Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Way Of The Sub

Last night, I picked my youngest up from a school activity and asked, "Are you hungry?"  He replied, "Starving, what's for dinner?"  Then he told me about an older kid that showed up for practice, and proceeded to snack on a twelve inch Subway sub.  They were all making bets as to whether or not he would well...you know...lose his dinner.  So, I asked "You want to go to Subway?"
This wasn't easy for me.  Despite the resurgence of Subway's popularity with Jared Fogle as the spokesperson and the consistent mentioning of their healthy menu on one of my favorite television shows (The Biggest Loser), I have personally not been to a Subway since the mid nineties.  Why?
Its not a pretty story but, here goes.  We were living in North Carolina.  I was pregnant with our youngest.  We popped into a Subway for lunch.  I had grown up on Subway sandwiches and on many occasions well into adulthood, we had ordered the gigantic six foot sub for parties (it is designed to serve 18-25 people).
But this particular visit turned me off to Subway for a very long time.  As I said, it was in North Carolina.  It was probably one of the hottest days of the year.  The woman who waited on us wore no headgear and no gloves when she made our sandwiches.  Her long and stringy hair hung down over and into the food area.  She was significantly overweight, so much so that, her belly literally hung over into the food bins from which she gathered the ingredients for our sandwiches.  To make matters worse, she was pouring sweat everywhere.  Now, I am not one to have a weak stomach.  I never have been.  I'm an old soldier.  I've eaten my meals in some of filthiest conditions around.  I've eaten with flies swarming around me.  I fought off ants that were competing for my trail mix.  Heck, even now, I frequently eat dinner while watching "Bones" reruns (I love Bones).  Maybe it was because I was pregnant but, I was so grossed out by that particular incident, I never went back to Subway.  I was traumatized.  And as a result, I kind of became a non submarine sandwich person.
But, I believe in second chances.  So, last night I decided it was time.  I suggested we try Subway.  Boy, was I surprised.  Subway today is not the Subway of yesterday.  The servers were clean, well groomed, and seriously sanitary (they changed their gloves with every customer's order).  The nutritional information for everything they served was right there posted where you could see it (though small for us folks with poor vision).  My son got a sandwich and said hi to a few of his friends who happened to also be there.  I ordered a veggie delite salad (I still try to cut down on the bread when I can).  I could of made my salad any way I chose but, I stuck with lettuce, tomato, green peppers, cucumbers, and pickles.  When I said that was all I wanted, the server smiled and doubled the portions.  He gave me a strange look when I said no dressing (I am trying to remain on that nice list).  When we got in the car, my son said, "I think I'm going to start going there more often."  I told him I thought that was a good idea.  I can safely be assured that, at Subway, he will have numerous healthy choices made available to him.  
The only suggestions I would make would be that they add shredded carrots to their veggies.  I added my own when I came home and it really rounded out the salad.  Also, try adding some dark leaf lettuce like romaine.
I learned some things last night.  Disappointment in the past doesn't have to mean disappointment until the end of time.   Keep and open mind.  You adapt.  Businesses (and people) can too.  Sometimes, its good to give second chances.  You might be pleasantly surprised if you do.
http://www.subway.com/nutrition/NutritionList.aspx?id=lowfat&Countrycode=USA         

No comments:

Post a Comment