Saturday, December 17, 2011

Nice Platters, Naughty Alcohol, And A Frozen Little Tushy

I was very good yesterday.  At least, I'd planned on being good.  I put together this platter of healthy veggies and added our favorite Sabra hummus.  It was gone in no time, before anything else on the table actually.  I prefer veggie and hummus to crackers and hummus any day.  When I got to the party, our hostess offered me a glass of wine.  Sure.  Good for the heart right?  The second glass was probably pushing it.  The rum and bourbon egg nog was well...a mistake.  It was so thick, it looked a bit like ranch dressing.  Seriously..  When we came home, I fell asleep on the couch.  But, when I went to bed, I slept very little.  My own fault.  I have never been able to mix alcohols.  Last night, I paid my poor choices.  I told my husband I was not going to drink any more alcohol at the remainder of the holidays parties this weekend.  I needed to pay penance for my sins.
Needless to say, this morning I wasn't really up to working out (recovery day any way).  Besides the stomach pains I suffered from for my over indulgence of naughty drink, my hip was bothering me and my stupid foot has been causing me no end of pain for what seems like days.  One minute I fine and, the next, I'm limping around the house unable to put any pressure on my foot.  My husband says its time I took a break from all the walking.  "Sweetie", I told him, "I'm not much more than 20 miles from 1500.  I can't just stop this close to 1500.  It would be like seeing the finish line in a race and just stopping."  I promised him, after the holidays, I'd have the doctors take a look at my stupid foot.  Honestly, I doubt there is much they can do other than give me a pill or tell me to stay off of it.  That's all they've done in the past.  Besides, its not like I'm going to stop walking.  We all know that's not going to happen.
So, I decided to just get out of the house.  I told him I was going to do a little last minute Christmas shopping.  Well, that was probably a bad choice.  I wasn't really dressed for the chilly temperatures.  I froze my little tushy off...no really...what's left of it that is.
To make matters worse, its the last weekend before Christmas.  I hardly noticed in the parking lot (I park as far away as I can).  But the stores were packed with wall to wall shoppers.  The lines went on forever (the upside was, it was warm in the stores).  I should have known.  After visiting a half dozen places, it finally sunk in....time to head home and try the internet.  Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone who ships quickly.  Shopping just isn't fun when folks are constantly bumping in to you.  
Right now, I have to go bake.  My husband and I are making little plates of goodies for the neighbors.  Cranberry bread, homemade fudge, candies, and candy canes...every bit of it naughty.  You know?  I'm beginning to think a little naughty is okay now and then.  If not, then what in the world am I going to have left to do for my New Year's resolution in 2012?  

No comments:

Post a Comment