Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Windows To The Soul

    I once read that the eyes are the windows to the soul.  If that's the case, pass the glass cleaner because mine have been steadily getting blurrier.  I have always been one of those lucky people with good vision.  Even when I was young, and glasses were cool, I wore non tinted sunglasses so as to appear as if I were actually wearing glasses.
   When I got out of the Army at age forty, my vision seemed to be the only thing that had not deteriorated.  I could, without fail, read the lowest line on that doctor's office eye chart even then.  But in those days, I was never really the reader I am now.  On full time active duty, with a family to take care of once I got home, I rarely had time to read more than warning orders or technical manuals.  Okay, on occasion, I would grab the latest check out stand magazine.  But, a novel?  That was never an option.
   After I retired, things changed pretty rapidly.  My husband was deployed.  Our youngest was in school.  With time on my hands, I actually sat down and read books.  And soon, I found that I truly loved to read.
   When my husband returned from deployment, we planned our next move back to Virginia.  I told him how much I would love to write my story, our story.  After we had settled in, he bought me a computer.  It wasn't long before age caught up with me and my once perfect vision.  He bought one with the biggest screen he could get at the time on a laptop computer so I wouldn't need to strain my eyes after spending so much time researching and writing.  Because of the constant eye strain, I figured a visit the eye doctor was in order.  He prescribed readers (100's), said I should just stop by the local CVS or Walmart and get them.  I got my most recent pair at Wegman's.  Today, I have the same computer.  Even the large screen does me no good.  I need my glasses.  My eyes are getting old.  Such is life.  I don't mind.  I'm only wearing the 150's after all.  I just wish I didn't need to pull out the glasses to read menus, labels and clothing tags.  But its only an inconvenience, not really worth the time it takes to whine about it.
   I believe that when you discover a love for something, you should enjoy every ounce of it.  Life is short.  Read all you can.  I know we have well over a thousand books in the house now.  The rest of the family has gone digital.  My husband downloads his books to his Ipad.  The kids do everything on computer.  Our son downloads to his Kindle.  Me?  In the evening, you will find me sitting in bed, wearing my nerdy readers, engrossed in the latest bestseller...a page turner.  Yes, a real live book that, when I am tired, I will place my bookmark in to save for a new day.  I am old fashioned that way.  As I tell our kids, books are treasures.  Cherish them.  It will be a sad day for me when paper books are gone.
   Anyway, I'm sure it won't be long before I am looking for next phase of readers.  Sometimes, you have to accept the inevitable.  The wrinkles will come (don't forget to moisturize).  You may forget where you put your car (be sure to get mental stimulation as well as physical exercise).  And the eyes now belong to a woman of a certain age.  Ugh... Be proud of the years, I tell myself.  Oh, what you would find were you truly able to see into her soul... A best seller, maybe?   : )
    

No comments:

Post a Comment