Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Three Hundred Miles

  
Today, I hit the 300 mark in my journey towards walking 1000 miles in 2011.  To celebrate the occasion, I had my husband take a bunch of photos, even some in my bikini.  After seeing the look on his face, I guess fit is the new sexy.    
   On the cover of my March "Fitness" magazine, I noticed a contest for the face of fitness.  I go back and forth as to whether or not I should enter.. Though I am proud of my accomplishments so far, I told my husband I thought I was too old, and well, not pretty enough for the cover of a magazine.  And besides, they want entrants to send in five "fit" photos.  Was I being selfish to not even try?  If my blog is mentioned in a national magazine, I could reach more people, help them to do as I am doing.  I could help others get on track with their own health and fitness issues.  The model on the cover of the issue is in her bikini.  She is very young...twenty something, I'd guess, and very pretty.  
   When I was twenty, I didn't look nearly that good.  I was probably ten pounds heavier than I am now.  And by twenty-one, I was even heavier.  Not to make excuses, but I was living in Germany at the time.  I was young and naive enough to believe I could eat and drink whatever I liked.  That's why, at the time, I was put on the Army weight control program.  Now I know better.  "You will learn more from things that happen to you in real life than you will from hearing about or studying things that happen to other people." (Proverb)  In other words, Experience is the best teacher.  
   Anyway, back to present..me, at 47 years old.  Would my husband be upset if I put one of those bikini photos on my blog?  He said he was proud of me...and well, I do wear that same bikini at the beach for the world to see.  Maybe just a small one with a partial view to show my training progress.  What are the chances he won't read this particular blog?  ; )
At home, March 2011
   
Hawaii's North Shore November 2009
  


   I know I have come a long way, but I still feel as if I have a long way to go.  Every day is a challenge.  Not only must I overcome my own injuries, but I have taken upon myself this mission to inspire others who may have given up on their own fitness goals.  I want to let them know they are not alone.  No one is too broken or too old to begin a personal program.  Remember, I have a list of medical issues as long as my arm.  We need to get up and get moving, stop saying what we can't do and start saying what we can do.  It is never too late to begin eating healthier and getting fit.  And if we work together, we can learn from each other.  We can make a difference in each other's lives.  And we can change the world...one person at a time.  We can all...walk that extra mile.  
   Well, time for my Chobani.  I'm thinking Pomegranate today topped with a bear naked fruit and nut.  Mmmm.   
  
   
         

2 comments:

  1. That pic at the top is rockin', girl. Your waist is sooo tiny!! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great posting. You look awesome and your words are inspiring. Hope this is th eblog you entered in your contest. I think it's a winner. Angie

    ReplyDelete