Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Basement

   Woke up before six.  My husband had to leave early.  I like to have coffee with him in the morning, so I dragged myself out of bed...for quality time.  Our son left for school.  Then, my husband followed.  I am alone...just me and "The Today Show".
    Since the hardwood installers let me know exactly when they were coming the next day, I wasn't left waiting by the door.  I managed to get in a full workout.  Five miles on the treadmill (I can't wait to walk outside), one hundred of each weight repetition (X 3), followed by 20 push ups.  It was strange doing push ups on the rug.  The carpeting is gone.  The wood is beautiful.  Suddenly, I am stricken with guilt wondering how many trees had to die to make our floors.  Shake it off.  I sit down and finish writing a letter to my mom when I hear a knock at the door.  Its the installers...right on time.  I head upstairs.  I had to do my sit ups on the bed.  Yes, my butt still hurts from the burn.  Such is life.  I will heal in time.  I do one hundred sit ups and gather my clothes for a shower.  I can't seem to close our bedroom door.  They haven't completely tacked down the molding upstairs.  Time to adapt.  I just take all my stuff inside the bathroom, then lock the door.  This is a strange feeling.  As parents, we are not in the habit of locking the bathroom door.  When the kids were young, we just left it unlocked in case they needed something.  If they did, they just came on in..merely shielding their eyes from anything that might cause them unwelcome nightmares.  We aren't exhibitionists.  You just never know when someone is going to forget something important...like underwear or a fresh bar of soap.
    Anyway, I finished what I needed to do in there and came carefully down the stairs.  Thats what they are working on today...the stairs.  They say today they will finish the job.  I know our youngest will be happy.  Not that he isn't already.  He has, over the last two days, been reenacting Tom Cruise in "Risky Business".  You know, the scene when he slides across the floor in his underwear.  Yes, he likes the wood.  What he doesn't like is the fact that his mom has taken over the basement (his sanctuary), and brought down all her "stuff".  Its true, I have my computer down here and my cell phone.  And when he comes home from school, I will insist he watch something non cartoon.  We need to find something we both enjoy.  Why is he watching television while doing his homework anyway?  I don't get it.  He is doing homework in subjects like Algebra and French while watching "I Carly".  How in the world can he focus?  I couldn't do it.  Oh well, we fight the battles that are worth fighting.
    In the background, I can hear the nail gun and wood saw.  Its not as noisy as on previous days.  It will be nice to finally have our home back.  It will be nice to have my freedom again...be able to leave and at least go grocery shopping.  As of today, I am completely out of any fresh berries for my smoothies.  I have two bananas left but they are not looking their best.  I suppose if I can't get to the store, I can make a whey protein, old banana smoothie.  I could throw in some peanut butter.  Ugh... I really need to go shopping.
   Yesterday, our son brought home a flyer from his French class.  They were collecting cans of tuna fish to send to Haiti.  My husband went out to get them while he did his homework.  I should have asked him to pick up some berries while he was there.  Hindsight...20/20, right?  Well, no use crying over spilled soy milk.  : )
Now I have done it...thinking about that smoothie, I am now craving peanut butter.  So, here I sit...rambling on...in the basement one more day...just here to babysit the contractors that have taken over our home.  Still, I have no complaints.  I got in a full workout and well, I guess 've also got wood.  ; o

1 comment:

  1. In my house we always locked the bathroom door, with 6 kids and 2 parents it was the ONLY place we could be alone. LOL! I want hardwood floors, but after your comment about the trees, I may have to go with bamboo.

    Keep on truckin'!!

    ReplyDelete