Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Spice of Life

 

   Last night, my husband and I decided to try something new for dinner.  So, I hit the internet.  After reading several on line reviews, we made a plan to try a local Indian Restaurant, "Taste of Tandoor".  I have to admit I was excited.  Well traveled, he and I love to experience new foods, and new flavors.  Most Friday nights, we stick to the favorites, restaurants that have always proven to please.   But, unfortunately, these restaurants are also the ones with the longest lines.  As I said before, I hate waiting.  My mood immediately deflates as soon as they hand me that thing that blinks when the table is ready.
http://www.tasteoftandoor.com/
   We initially thought it would be just the two of us, but a change in plans meant our youngest was coming along.  When we were in the car, my husband informed him we were trying something new.  He got very quiet.  He doesn't like to deviate from his usual macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese, pizza, or other traditionally "kid" foods.   But, at this point, he was captive...along for the ride.  We pulled in to the strip mall where the restaurant was located.  The curtains were drawn.  I became curious as to why.  Once inside, I was pleasantly surprised to see a nicely laid out, clean and inviting eating establishment.  Hidden so nicely, it was only half full of customers...no waiting for a comfortable booth.  Still I was prepared to make a quick recommendation for an escape to the nearby and familiar "Glory Days" restaurant.  Before I could change my mind, I glanced around at all the happy customers.  Then we were greeted with a smile and seated.  Our drink order was taken and we were left with an impressive, but extremely confusing menu.  What's this?  What's that?  We had no idea.  My husband couldn't read the menu, even with his glasses on (the menu type was very small).  Our son embraced the new experience, gladly serving as our guide, slowly sounding out the ingredients to each dish so we could decide on our selections.
   They brought out the appetizer we ordered...an assorted platter with items such as Murg tikka, Palkh pakora, Seekh kabob and Samosa.  None of us had any idea what these things were, but how can you lose with an assorted platter, right?  We laughed about it.  It was all rather tasty, different yes..but tasty still.  We ordered the breads...Roti (unleavened whole wheat bread) and Lachha Paratha (multi layered whole wheat bread).  They looked like the Naan I bring home on occasion, but these were warm (baked at the restaurant).
    For main meals, my husband ordered Gosht Masala (Lamb with ginger and garlic sauce), and I ordered Goa Shrimp Masala (Shrimp with coconut milk, cooked with ginger, garlic, curry leaves and spices).  We both ordered our entrees "hot", very spicy but one step below "Indian hot".  Our youngest took a look at the menu, then politely asked for the kid's menu.  As a teenager, he hates to do this.  It has become somewhat embarrassing.  In the end, he returned to the adult menu.  He decided on keeping it simple.  He ordered the Indian tomato soup.  We all had a side of Basmati rice puluo.  Mostly, he ate the bread and the rice.  We said nothing.  After all, this was for the experience.  We asked only that he try everything.  The waiter came over and asked if we wanted dessert.  My husband and I were both stuffed, but in the interest of trying new things, we took a look at the dessert menu.  We all looked.  Our son chose the Pistachio kulfi (Indian ice cream with cardarmon and pistachio).  I don't normally eat pistachios.  Neither does our youngest.  The waiter came back with dessert.  We just looked at him funny.  He had set it down in front of our son and with one spoon.  My husband laughs and says "Where's mine?"  He asks the waiter for two more spoons..we were going to share.  It was so frozen, our son had to help me get a spoonful.  My husband, a lover of pistachios liked it...it was different.  But our son?  He was in heaven.  He gladly finished what we could not.  The spicy food wasn't to his taste, but he absolutely embraced the unique Indian dessert.  This in itself gave me hope that he would be more willing to try new restaurants in the future.  I suggested we try Korean food next (no one argued).      
    This morning, I was on line again checking for more information on Indian food.  I was pleased to discover that it is actually healthy.  : )  Turns out enjoying "the spice of life" can be good for you.

htttp://www.indianfoodsite.com/nutritional_information.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment