Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Ides of March

    Today, I awoke to the Ides of March.  My husband left early, his first day with the Patriot Guard.  http://www.patriotguard.org/  Our son was down in the basement watching his favorite early morning television shows and waiting on the bus.  Even though I watched alone, the sunrise was particularly beautiful, especially with rain scheduled to come late today.  As I watched the day begin in all its glory, I thought of what I tell my youngest when he has had a stressful day, "Tomorrow is a new day.  Tomorrow you can begin again."  In truth, I know tomorrow never comes, but sometimes, when the world seems to swallow you up, knowing there is a tomorrow can bring comfort to even the worst of tragedies.  And sometimes, to the young, the smallest thing can represent a tragedy.  Knowing there is a chance to begin again fresh can make the weight of today seem less of a burden.  Too many of us carry burdens that are too heavy to carry alone.  Believe me, I know.
    Lately, these pale in comparison to what others are experiencing.  Feeling down because you didn't make the weight goal you established or didn't exercise like you planned can seem so small and insignificant compared to what we see on the news.
    I have always believed the rain washes away the bad in the world.  But sometimes it washes away good also.  We have seen flooding so horribly destructive, it almost appears as if we should start choosing animals and loading them on an ark.  We have watched earthquakes and tsunamis, families torn apart, thousands lost.  And now, we are glued to the television waiting for the latest on a possible radiation leak.  The faithful as well as the unfaithful are praying for good news.
   This morning, I awoke to the 15th day of March, and I was thankful to be warm, dry, and safe.  I was thankful for wonderful children and a loving husband, all of which I am very proud.  I was thankful that I have been given a second chance to get healthy, to make better choices, to live a more full life, and to give back.  And I knew despite any setbacks I have faced or will face, any personal tragedies...I would always look for that sunrise, that new beginning.  I may as slow as a tortoise, but I would keeping walking, always stepping forward towards that sunrise... Will you?
      

    
      

No comments:

Post a Comment