Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Let's Wrap It Up


  

The hard wood guys just came in.  They were a half hour later than I expected.  I should be upset.  I cut my workout short so I could hear the door and let them in.  But, things happen, and I did manage to walk three miles (bringing me up to 250), do my weight repetitions, and 30 push ups.  I need to take a break on the sit ups.  I have a rug burn on my butt, and it really hurts.  As my stepdaughter says, "no worries".  The cat is safely hidden in the basement, the door is closed, and eventually all this chaos will come to an end.  I can handle two more days of pounding and nailing.  I just wish I didn't have a headache.  Unfortunately, there is no escape from the noise.  They will be working on both the upstairs and on the main floor today.  And, in the basement, the sound just echoes.
   So, to take my mind off of the unending racket, I thought it might be nice to introduce something I frequently make ahead for lunches.  For a while now, I have tried to replicate a wrap a good friend and I had while in a health food restaurant in the little town near the base of Diamondback in Hawaii (The Diamondhead Cove health Bar).  http://www.diamondheadcove.com/    I know I don't have it perfect, but its tasty all the same.  They wouldn't give me their secret recipe.  Maybe you would like to try.   Anyway, you begin with a spinach wrap (any wrap will do, but the restaurant used these green ones, which I really like).  I like to nuke it for 30 seconds just to warm it up a bit.  Spread on your favorite hummus (cover it completely).  I eat roasted red pepper and garlic hummus, but for this, original works best for me.  Add spinach (I used mixed greens with spinach).  I also added fresh chopped green peppers.  You can add whatever you like.  Shredded carrots would be nice, but I don't have any readily available at this time.  Then you roll it, slice it in half, and enjoy.  Simple huh?
  At the restaurant, they had a dip on the plate, but I can't remember what it was exactly.  Hey, this was way back in November 2009.  What I do remember is how filling it was.  We finished our meals off with healthy fruit smoothies.  If I ever return to Hawaii (and I hope I do), I would definitely eat a this place again.  For a hole in wall we tried just for the heck of it, it was an experience I know I will never forget.  Just being there made me feel less like a "haole" and more like a local.  But the best part was, with this recipe, I got to take a nutritional and tasty piece of Hawaii home with me.  After all, it good food tastes good, you are more likely to eat it, right?



       
















No comments:

Post a Comment