Friday, March 4, 2011

Dear Lord, "Please let me get through this workout"



   Everything seemed to be going great this morning.  I drove our son to school so he could get in some volunteer time with the teacher.  When I came home, I husband was standing at the door smiling.  I had caught him before he left for work.  I walked in and we talked a bit about the upcoming weekend activities.  Then, after a quick kiss, he was out the door.
   The house was quiet.  Only 8 o'clock, and I was heading downstairs to my treadmill.  Yesterday was a bit depressing.  I didn't get to walk until after 10 o'clock.
  Soon, I was walking my steadily pace and happily watching "The Today Show".  I got as far as 4.70 miles, when my right knee gave out on me.  What the heck?  Where did that come from?  Luckily, I caught it in time...grabbed the treadmill hand rails.  I slowed my pace a bit, but continued.  I was determined to make it to 5 miles.  I focused on the television, not my wobbly knees.  Every now and then, I glanced at the treadmill mileage...4.75, 4.80, 4.85.  I thought, "please don't let me fall off this machine".  I hit 4.9 and knew for sure that I would finish.  The numbers came one by one... It was difficult to keep my focus on the television, and off my knee.      
   A good story came on.  When I looked back down at the treadmill, I was on 5.02.  It was all very exciting.  I had finished my 5 miles despite the fact that my knee was unstable.  I looked around.  There was no one to tell...no one to share my accomplishment with but it didn't really matter.  I knew I had been sent a guardian angel to help me get through...to push me...or maybe pull me to that 5 mile goal.
   I did my weight exercises...300 high repetition, low weight...then went upstairs.  Sit ups were a challenge today.  Great...I think I'm getting rug burns and I think I am losing a toenail.  But then, something happened that made me forget the rug and my toes.  I noticed, when in the down position, the sun was shining in through the window.  It felt wonderful to feel the warm sun on my face.  I made it to my goal...100 sit ups.  I thought, okay...what's next?
   Push ups...Only 20.  I can do 20 push ups, right?  It was the last task to complete.  Well, for some reason, my feet kept slipping.  I notice my stomach.  I hate my stomach.  I don't think my ab work outs are working.  Maybe I should reconsider plastic surgery.  I've lost a lot of weight.  When I bend a certain way, I feel like one of those shar-pei dogs.  I was quickly losing focus.  Suddenly, I had a strange urge to look out the window.  I was looking for a distraction.  I noticed that there was a cardinal on the bird feeder...which is strange because the bird feeder is empty and has been for days, weeks even.  The cardinal was just sitting there.  He seemed to be watching me do my push ups.  Honestly, I believe he was counting my push ups.  Okay, that's strange, right?  I know, at this point, I have completely lost my mind.  But you know what?  That bird gave me the motivation I needed to complete my work out.
   He reminded me that Spring is nearly here.  Knock wood...In a few weeks, I will be able to look back and say "I made it through the winter without throwing my back out, without getting hurt so bad I had to go to the doctor in tears, begging for pain meds."  I focused on knocking out the push ups.  When I got to 20, I glanced back at the bird feeder.  He flew away.  I was done.  I didn't need him anymore...today.  I wonder if he'll come back tomorrow and count for me.   Maybe I need to buy some bird seed just in case.  For now, I'll put out some bread...for my work out buddy and his friends.        

No comments:

Post a Comment