Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March Temptation

     
    This morning, I was driving our son in to school when I had this idea.  Every day, I walk my walk, and talk my talk...while doing my best to stay on track with my eating habits.  I know how hard it can be.  My biggest challenge is when my husband goes on work trips.  I swear I sometimes get so busy I forget to eat.  How did I ever do this when I had a full time job?  This month, I'm going to tempt you with something new.
    As Criss Angel says, "Are you ready?"  
    The largest weighed three pounds, two ounces.  One medium size one contains about 80 calories.  The skin contains more antioxidants and fiber than the flesh.  There are more than 7500 varieties grown in the world.  About 2500 varieties are grown in the United States.  Archaeologists have evidence of people eating them as far back as 6500 B.C.  Contrary to popular belief, there is no mention of this fruit as the forbidden fruit in the Bible. It is referred to as "fruit from the Tree of Knowledge" with no specification as to which kind of fruit. It was Hugo Van Der Goes who first implicated it as the forbidden fruit in his 1470 A.D. painting, The Fall of Man. After that, it became popular to depict it as the forbidden fruit. Did Adam get the forbidden fruit stuck in his throat explaining why men have these and not women?  Newton asked why it fell.  Henry David Thoreau referred to them as the noblest of fruits. Dan Brown used this secret for his best selling book “The DaVinci Code”.  We see them on our electronic gadgets.  Me? I once decorated my country kitchen with them.  There is no doubt about it. They are part of our history.  They touch our lives.  And I have yet to hear of anyone ever being allergic to them (which, in my opinion, is a plus).  But, what exactly does this popular fruit do for you?
    French researchers found that a flavanoid called phloridzin that is found only in apples may protect post-menopausal women from osteoporosis and may also increase bone density. Boron, another ingredient in apples, also strengthens bones.  One recent study shows that children with asthma who drank apple juice on a daily basis suffered from less wheezing than children who drank apple juice only once per month. Another study showed that children born to women who eat a lot of apples during pregnancy have lower rates of asthma than children whose mothers ate few apples.  A study on mice at Cornell University found that the quercetin in apples may protect brain cells from the kind of free radical damage that may lead to Alzheimer's disease.  The pectin in apples lowers LDL ("bad") cholesterol. People who eat two apples per day may lower their cholesterol by as much as 16 percent.  According to a study of 10,000 people, those who ate the most apples had a 50 percent lower risk of developing lung cancer. Researchers believe this is due to the high levels of the flavonoids quercetin and naringin in apples. A Cornell University study found that rats who ate one apple per day reduced their risk of breast cancer by 17 percent. Rats fed three apples per day reduced their risk by 39 percent and those fed six apples per day reduced their risk by 44 percent.  One study found that rats fed an extract from apple skins had a 43 percent lower risk of colon cancer. Other research shows that the pectin in apples reduces the risk of colon cancer and helps maintain a healthy digestive tract.  Research found that rats fed an extract from apple skins had a 57 percent lower risk of liver cancer. The pectin in apples supplies galacturonic acid to the body which lowers the body's need for insulin and may help in the management of diabetes.  A Brazilian study found that women who ate three apples or pears per day lost more weight while dieting than women who did not eat fruit while dieting.
   Why am I feeding you all this information?  Well, this month, I have added something new...a personal challenge to my readers.  I know. I know.  You are thinking, "Another thing to keep track of?  Who is she kidding?  That's all I need."  Well, I promise this one will be easy.  I want you to eat an apple a day every day this month.  We all know they are good for us.  Together, let’s see if we can keep those doctors away.  

1 comment:

  1. For almost two years I was on the apple diet- two apples before every meal. It worked wonders. But I did get sick of apples. However, it took two years before that happened

    ReplyDelete