Saturday, March 12, 2011

Not Since I Was A Kid

   Not since I was a kid, spending entire weekends, hours at the local skating rink, have my calves been this sore.  You know what?  Just like back then, I don't really mind.  I earned these tight calves.  All those trips up and down the stairs yesterday were totally worth it.  Should I do more?  I know I am supposed to use weekends for recovery time.  But every time I pass that room upstairs, with all the stuff I have yet to return to its proper place, I am lured in.  Just one more trip, one more item put away.  I want things to be normal again, everything in its place.
   How did we ever accumulate so much stuff?  How did we become such pack rats?  What can I get rid of, donate?  Should we begin the downsizing phase of our lives?  Well, whether we keep it or not, there is no escaping the fact that I still need to bring it downstairs eventually.
   Last weekend, we sorted through our library.  Together, we filled two very large boxes with old books.  The problem is the boxes are now so heavy, neither of us separate or together can lift them.  I wonder how long they will remain in the library.  Perhaps I should attempt to drag them up the basement stairs.  I remind myself that its recovery time.  I'll get my husband to do it.  : )  "Honey...Sweetie...I have a mission for you."  No where did he go?  Ugh, I've misplaced him again.  Oh well.
   Our friends return from their cruise tomorrow.  I hope they had a nice time.  I wish we could have gone, but we have a kid in school.  I really wish we could have gone.  My legs are so very white.  White and cramped.  Maybe I need a spray tan...or a real tan...something so I won't be embarrassed to someday wear shorts again.
   We spring forward tonight.  Soon, the days will be longer.  I cannot wait.  Just a few more days and I will have made it through the winter, my first in ten years without throwing my back out.  It kind of makes me emotional, you know?  My first winter in ten years without having to take prescription pain medication.  I am a realist.  I know I haven't beat the degenerative process, but maybe I have found a way to live life as I remember it ...from when I was that teenager frequenting the skating rink...when all I had to worry about was a few blisters and cramping calves.

No comments:

Post a Comment