Sunday, March 27, 2011

Over The River And Through The Woods

Brian, Me, Mom/Grandmom, and Paul 

   More like over the bridges, past two major amusement parks and over another longer bridge, to grandmother's house we go, but you get the idea.  On Saturday morning, we packed our overnight bags and headed down to Portsmouth to see my mom and my brothers.  Its always a bit of a challenge to carve out time in our crazy hectic schedules, but we do try to get there whenever possible.  On the way, we stopped at their favorite Barbecue place near Williamsburg, "Pierce's Pit" and picked up some lunch.  If you ever find yourself down on I64 heading towards VA Beach, stop off at exit 234 and visit Pierce's pit.  The food is wonderful even for us non beef, non pork eaters.  There is something for everyone.  Heck, I'd go there just for the collard greens (I am a southern girl, after all).  We got enough to feed the entire crew and headed east.  Once we arrived at Mom's/Grandmom's, we unpacked the food.  My mom couldn't wait to dive into the pork ribs.  That lady can eat some ribs.   Then again, so can my husband.  I was a bit downhearted because they had forgot to pack the hush puppies (and the kid's meal), but I guess someone upstairs wanted me to stick to my healthy eating plan...so no hush puppies.  Oh well.  Another day, another batch of hush puppies.  
    My mom wears a hearing aid and it seemed to be on the fritz this weekend.  She claims it doesn't fit because of her little ears.  Before we could settle in and catch up, she asked me to come with her to her bedroom.  She wanted to show me something.  We spent the next couple of hours perusing over her Elvis collection.  Every time we visit, she tries to give me stuff to take home.  I think its an old person thing, wanting to hand stuff down before they die, so they can ensure those left behind don't make any mistakes.  Needless to say, I never come home empty handed.  At this rate, we'll soon need more storage space.
Mike, Jim, Me, and Willie
   Eventually, we went back in the living room and talked.  The massive television is always on.  Strangely, wrestling wasn't on.  Instead, in the background, we could hear the news.  It always gives us something to talk about...or argue about...whichever works.
   Its always good to catch up with my mom and my brothers.  Of the three, only one has a computer.  Everyone else, you have to either call or write, and for some reason, everyone screens their calls.  Sometimes, it makes staying in touch difficult.  I recently began writing my mom letters the old fashioned way.  My wrist was sore for days afterward.  My husband suggested I just use the computer, and change it to script font.  She would think I had  lovely handwriting.  Sounds like a plan.
   After a while, we headed over to the Renaissance Hotel.  Its where we always stay.  The beds don't hurt my back, the staff is very friendly, and its relatively close to that little blue house I called home in my youth (long before I became military and nomadic).  We changed clothes and headed to the gym.  Yes, we worked out.  There is never an excuse not to work out even when visiting family.  Whenever we go on trips, the first thing we ask is, "Do you have a gym?"  I know...weekends are recovery time.  But I figured why not?  Our youngest is working on his Fitness Merit Badge in scouts.  He needs to work out whenever he can and we need to set the example.  My calf started to hurt a bit, so I went back up to the room earlier than the boys.  I didn't worry.  My knee was fine and that's where the injury is.  It felt better after a nice hot shower and Motrin.  I'm sure it was just from sitting in the car for three hours.  Once everyone got back, we went to dinner in the hotel.  It was easy.  Too cold to venture outside.  I had a wonderful dish they called a Portabello Mushroom Stack with asparagus, and sealed the deal (or the meal) with a very nice Cabernet.  I fell asleep cuddled up to my husband while he watched a movie on television.  Our youngest was watching his own movie on the laptop computer.
    The next morning, it was rainy and cold.  We wondered if Mom/Grandmom would want to even go out (she is nearly 83 years old and on a walker).  But she loves an outing even it only means a trip to the local IHOP for breakfast...  I had the harvest nut and grain blueberry pancakes with sugar free syrup.  Mmmm.
After breakfast, we headed back to the house for a few minutes, then got back on the road.  She is always so happy to see us, so sad when the time comes that we have to leave.  But she knows departure is inevitable.  Our lives are not in Portsmouth.  Tomorrow is a work/school day.  We had a long drive ahead of us.  I'll sit down and write another letter this week.  I know its not as good as a visit, but it will make her smile.  And you know what I say, "It all counts."
Mom and Me
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment