Friday, March 18, 2011

Friday Wrap Up


    Its was a beautiful morning, so I decided I'd venture outside to walk.  I looked down at my legs.  Ugh...I am so white.  Before I could turn around and go back inside to put on some long pants to hide my shame, I ran into my neighbor.  She was also going for a walk.  So, for the first time in months, I had a walking buddy.  We put our individual music devices away and talked.  It was really wonderful having someone to walk with.  I'll admit, sometimes I get bored walking.  On the treadmill, the television helps distract me...In the neighborhood, I have my ipod (which I desperately need to update with the latest tunes).  We walked together all the way to our respective turning points then split.  I took the hill.  She headed for the high school.  I looked for her on the way back, but we never linked up.  Fortunately, I had my music.  In the end, I completed more than four miles.  When I got home, I found that I had more energy so I hopped on the treadmill and did two more.  I should pass the 300 mile mark next week, well on the way to my one thousand mile goal for the year.  Hey, what can I say?  It feels good to walk.
   I did my normal weight repetitions and push ups, then followed with sit ups.  No more doing sit ups on the bed.  My rug burn has finally healed.  I can lock my feet under the weight bench and go to town.  Sit ups are my strongest area, but I need to find an additional abdominal exercise that doesn't stress my back injuries.  With my back, I always need to be careful.  I went up to take a shower.  For some reason, I haven't been weighing myself lately.  I think I was waiting for my husband to show me how to work the body fat indicator or something.  Today, I thought what the heck..and did it.  Weight looks good.  No, I'm not going to tell you.  Would you tell me your weight?  Besides, my husband reads this and I don't want him to start force feeding me.  I feel better than I've felt in years.  I'm healthier now, and getting more so every day.  That's what's important.  Sunday, 20 March, is the first day of spring.  That means in two more days, I will have made it through the winter without throwing my back out.  I feel like celebrating, jumping for joy, dancing on tables even.  Yeah, I know...that probably would not be good for the back.
   Anyway, enough of that.  I want to take time to follow up some of my previous blogs.  In the blog "Be well", I talked about GNC's whey protein powder...called "Be Buff".    You remember? The expensive one.  Well, just so you know, its really good.  If I compare to the Jillian's Michaels powder, I would say, hers is like a slushie, GNCs is like a milkshake...smoother and creamier.  I don't mind the slushies, but on occasion, a milkshake smoothie is a nice treat.  I still don't think I'll use theirs every day...I mean, its a pretty hefty price and well, I do like Jillian's whey protein powder.  Really, its up to you.  Me?  I don't intend to go broke on whey protein powders.  By the way, I noticed "The Biggest Loser" has their own chocolate and vanilla whey proteins in Safeway stores...  I like their blueberry and raspberry flavors.  Maybe I'll try them next.  The price is comparable to Jillian's (that I have only found in Walmart)...10 to 11 dollars a can for about 16 servings.
   Before I forget, my husband really liked the stuffed green peppers I made yesterday in the slow cooker.  Here is the recipe:

Healthier Stuffed Peppers
Pour large can (28oz) whole tomatoes into slow cooker
Cut 4-5 medium green peppers in half lengthwise...set aside.
Mix in a bowl..1 pound ground turkey, 1/2 cup diced celery, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1 egg (beaten), 1 cup whole grain brown rice...
Divide mixture among peppers
Arrange peppers up right over whole tomatoes in slow cooker...
Mix in separate bowl...1 can low sodium tomato soup, 1 1/2 tspn chili powder, 1 tspn ground cumin, 1 tspn red pepper (or more if you like them spicy), 1 tspn fresh minced garlic, 1 cup water.
Pour over peppers in slow cooker
Slow cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Add pepper to taste (I never add additional salt).
(If you like, sprinkle with your favorite cheese, but remember...keep it light).
The house smells wonderful...
And these are even better the next day.  

Have a great weekend, but stay on track.  : )
               

No comments:

Post a Comment