Sunday, March 13, 2011

Out And About

    Today, my husband and I got up and went to the National Capital Area Boat Show at Dulles Expo Center.  In my experience, you really take a chance when you venture out and about even for the day.  I managed to have my usual Greek yogurt with bare naked granola before we left the house, but what about later?  You know that growling in the stomach that hits early afternoon...that burning that says,"I must eat now."  After we had walked around a bit, it hit me..."Gurrr".  Oh no.  This could get embarrassing.  Time to find the show's cafe.  Well, great... Seems all they have to offer are the usual fare...hot dogs, pretzels, nachos, pizza, etc.. Absolutely nothing for the human being aspiring to live a healthy lifestyle.  We got coffee, but even that didn't fit the bill.  It was tasty, but they had no sugar free hazelnut (my favorite) and no soy milk. Ugh.  I really needed a lift.  I went for caffeine.  Sometimes you have to say, what the heck, right?  Well, it was only 1 pm, and the coffee wasn't going to be enough.   I was really hungry.
    I have to be careful.  I have in the past gotten light headed if I didn't eat.  As a kid, they said I probably had low blood sugar and in the Army, they said I was anemic.  One time, when I didn't eat, I actually got dizzy, fell and hit my mouth on a chair in our kitchen.  I busted my lip. I know to eat regularly.
My husband bought popcorn.  I had a few before I remembered...
    I had planned ahead.  Just before we left, I had slipped a protein bar into my purse.  No worries.  I would be fine at least until we made it home.  My favorite is the chocolate peanut butter.  I know.  Peanut butter again.  What can I say?  I love peanut butter, especially crunchy.  There are a lot of protein bars out there.  Its really a personal choice, but I like pure protein the best.  To be honest, some of them taste like cardboard.  Know what I mean?  Me?  I would prefer not to eat cardboard.  I like to keep the pure protein bars in the refrigerator in case of emergencies.  They have 20 grams of protein, between 180 and 200 calories, and only 2 to 3 grams of sugar, and they are filling.  I just grab one and head out.  
   Anyway, if you find yourself out and about for the day, try packing a protein bar.  Then, when you are faced with foods you know you shouldn't be eating, these give you a healthy satisfying alternative to hold you over.  That way, you don't have to blame your loving spouse when the growling stomach makes people turn their heads and stare..."It was him not me.  I am a lady. Ladies don't make those noises".  Or worse, you could pass out and bust your lip open.  Trust me, really difficult to explain.  Better to pack your protein bar and avoid those situations completely.
The Gecko says hello
      

No comments:

Post a Comment