Wednesday, June 22, 2011

When Its Hot And Sticky

   When we returned from visiting my mom on Sunday, I told my husband not to mow the lawn.  It was Father's Day, and somehow it just didn't seem right for him to have to mow the lawn on Father's Day.  Besides, we were all exhausted from the long drive.  I told him we (our son and I) would take care of it during the week.  I know he didn't believe I would really do it.  I mean, I've mowed the lawn once this year, and it was cooler then.  We've been averaging in the 90's.
   We've been going through that typical Virginia weather lately.  One minute, its raining and another, its just plain hot and sticky.  The weatherman said we should expect rain off and on throughout the week.  I honestly didn't know when we would get to the lawn.  Yesterday, I heard the neighbor's mowing theirs.  I figured it was dry enough.  So, I called our youngest back home (he was with friends) and we went out.  I mowed two sides.  Our son mowed two sides.  He later informed me he would've mowed all of it.  I said, "Next time, speak up so I can hear you."  He came back with, "Hey mom, does this mean you get half my allowance?"  Mmmm.  Interesting thought.  : )
   The best part of mowing the lawn is watching as your husband comes home from work and sees you doing it.  Priceless.  I just smile as if to say, "See, I'm not totally incapable of yard work" or better still..."See, you aren't the only one who knows how to do this right.  All the lines are straight."  Yes, priceless moments for sure.  Anyway, this morning when I woke up, I paid for that extra workout with a pain in my lower hip.  Well, actually it was nearer my butt.  I guess I used some muscles I haven't used in a while.
   I rolled out of bed thinking I might get through some, if not all, of my morning routine.  I try to always dress as if I am going to workout.  Less excuses that way.  Yes, even us fitness goddesses are capable of making excuses now and then.  What makes us unique is our ability to shake them off and get back to what is important...maintaining a healthy lifestyle.      
  The cat had already been fed, but she must have known I was hurting.  She came up to the top of the stairs to get me.  Together, we proceeded cautiously down.  My knees were hurting too.  Weatherman was right.  Rain is definitely on its way.  I know things about the weather.  I don't have formal training per se, but I have what you might call a "dowsing rod" weather reading kind of body, which would be pretty neat if it didn't come with all the aches and pains.  
   At first, I considered walking outside.  After talking to a neighbor, who had just returned from her walk, I decided against it.  It was just too hot and sticky outside.  I went back in the house and hit the treadmill.  Before long, I was sweating up a storm.  My hip started to feel better, so I increased my incline and my speed.  After I finished my five mile walk, I thought about stopping...but I didn't.  After I finished 50 push ups, I thought about stopping...but I didn't.  After I finished my sit ups, I thought about stopping...but I didn't.  You know what?  After I finished my butt lifts, I felt much better.  Butt lifts felt great today.  That's where the pain was.  Maybe, that's what I needed...to stretch out those gluteus maximus muscles.  By the time I was done, (out chatting with the neighbor, I was a bit behind my normal schedule) it was nearly 1000hrs.  Still, I did 300 + arm weight repetitions.  Can't skip that.  No excuse.  My arms aren't hurting today.  Can't cheat myself.  I am a terrible self tattletale.
   In the end, I earned a long shower and my strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, banana, wheat germ, whey protein smoothie.  Later, our youngest and I met with his dad for lunch.  After what seems like forever,  I finally got one those 400 calorie strawberry poppy seed and chicken seasonal salads from Panera Bread.  My husband had one too.  Yum.  And we all had bottled water.  
   I can already tell its going to be a hot and sticky evening...if the rain holds off.  The final boy scout fitness test is tonight.  I hope they all remember to "Be Prepared" and bring water.
           
       

No comments:

Post a Comment