Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Power Of A Hug

We drove down to visit my mom last night. She is in a rehab center recovering from a broken wrist. Walking into one of those places always makes me anxious. I am immediately taken back to previous hospital visits I have had. But I knew she needed to see me, her only daughter. So, I mustered all my strength, took hold of my husband's hand and faced my demons. She lit up like it was Christmas. We took her a chocolate frosty from Wendys. I know. Not very healthy, but when you are 83, chocolate is one of the few pleasures you have left. We also brought her some new clothes. She had lost quite a bit of of weight. She jokingly said that soon she would be as small as me. So,I told her if she wants to look like me, she needs to start lifting weights...which is somewhat difficult right now. We laughed. I did her fingernails and we all gave her lots of hugs. Sometimes, the hugs are really the best medicine especially when they come from a thirteen year old grandson. I think she will be in there for a few more weeks, so if you find yourself in The area..drop by the Bon Secour and give her a hug...and if not, please consider visiting another place such as this. There are lots and lots of elderly out there that would benefit from the power of a visit, the power of a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment