Thursday, June 30, 2011

How I Gained 8 Pounds And A Job Offer

   Yesterday was the day we flew through the air on the Zip Line.  Actually there were four total zip lines, each varying in height and distance.  We showed up early.  I'm always early.  (ask my husband).  The cashier was nice enough to stow my junk away behind the desk so I wouldn't have to pay for a locker.  Everyone was extremely nice.  They kept joking about the equipment and things that could wrong.  "That's a new line.  It hasn't been tested yet".  In our little group of eight, there were three mom's (myself included), four boys on or near my son's age, and one terrified little girl.  We were told to pee first, before the gear went on..8 pounds of gear that is.  After it was on, I understood.  I was quickly taken back to my youth, the times I had repelled.  I felt strangely out of uniform.  One of the mom's made the comment that she was too old for all this.  When she said she was 47, I laughed.  As it turned out, we were nearly born on the same day in August.  Me?  I didn't feel old.  My stomach was a bit jittery though.  I wondered if I should have gone pee a second time.  I always have to pee when I'm nervous.  We rode up the hill to our first stop, the training area, where we were given a crash course on the zip line.  It was all pretty easy.  One guide acted as a passer, and one as a receiver.  The instructor guide asked if anyone was afraid of heights.  About half the group raised their hands.  He said he would work on that.  Questions were answered and we were on the way.  Up the rope and across a bridge.  I maneuvered through this part easily, even in my Shape Ups (they go everywhere with me).  The guides shook the rope and the bridge to make they sway.  I  just laughed.  I was still flashing back to my old Army days.  Somehow, it made the butterflies in my stomach go away and freed me to just enjoy the moment.  We went through the course quickly.  The ladies took photos (except me..I had no pockets for the camera).  The little girl screamed and cried.  I felt bad for her.  She was a nervous wreck.  I tried to calm her down getting her to take deep breaths.  The boys had a ball.  My son claimed to be afraid of heights, but you never would have known it.  He was smiling the whole time.  Several times on the platform, we would test our courage by leaning all the way over the edge.  I was the first to do it after the guides.  I waved my arms, "Look, no hands".  I knew you just had to trust your equipment.  Near the end of the course, the guide looked at me and said, "You should work here."  I smiled and said, "Its a little far from home.  The commute would be quite a challenge."  When it was over, I was ready to do it again.  I felt like the old me again and I liked it.
  Back in the room, I confessed to my son that I too was scared of heights.  "I'd never of guessed."  I just smiled.  I knew that on zip line day, my son got to see a different side of his mom...one he never knew...the fearless woman she once was..back in the day.
  After our adventure, played four games of pool (which he won) and took a drive around on the go carts.  We were planning on watching a movie, but a new "Mythbusters" was on.  I try never to keep him from his "Mythbusters".
  This morning, I rolled over at 0730hrs on the dot.  After yesterdays adventure, I felt invigorated.  So, I went to gym.  I did 300 repetitions of weights and four miles on the treadmill at an incline.  When I returned to the room, we headed to the water park.  I did the slide, the tube rides, etc.  I climbed over a thousand stair steps today.  Right now, I am sitting here, wrapped in towel, soaked to the bone.  I guess I should hop in the shower.  My hair is all a frizz and its nearing the time for our nightly pool challenge.  Maybe one of these nights, I'll beat him.  And...if I don't...no worries.  This time together has been priceless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment