Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Peace, Love, And "Health" Care Packages

   I got up this morning thinking about one thing.  Believe it or not, it wasn't my workout.  That has become a normal part of my day.  Get up, get dressed in my workout attire, head downstairs, turn on the Keurig, feed the cat, wake the teenager, turn on "The Today Show", say bye as teenager gets on the bus, and then hit the treadmill.  Five miles, 50 Push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 butt lifts, and 300 weight (of some make or model) repetitions, and I am done.  Oh yes, there is always a shower that follows.  I don't have to think about it.  I just do... I like that.  Its more productive than what I used to do with my life post Army career, which was everything minus the work out.
  Once I am dressed and have had my whey protein fruit smoothie, I am ready for the day..whatever that means.  Today, throughout everything, I was thinking about what I would get to put in my Stepdaughter's newest care package.  Since she joined the Peace Corps, she has become a more healthy, more fit young woman.  She puts an effort into staying in shape, eating healthier foods and maintaining a steady work out routine.  I was never so motivated, at least when it came to eating right.
   I was in the Army at her age, so I really had no choice in the workout area.  There was a mandatory organized physical fitness program.  But when it came to eating, I routinely made some pretty poor decisions.  As a result, I had high cholesterol for many years and worried constantly about getting diabetes like my grandmother, my father, and two of my three brothers.  
 Well, no junk food in the care package this time.  My husband would normally insist on certain, not necessarily what you call "healthy", items.  I wanted to send her something special, just from me.  So, I headed out the door.  No list to go by...just a general direction...healthy stuff.  This is probably the first time she will know what's coming.  I hope the lack of surprise doesn't disappoint.  As usual, I went to the store where I knew I could get everything I needed for the package.  I went to Target.   I always try to get items that are new, things I know she cannot find in Burkina Faso, where she is assigned.  A few books are always nice.  She is an avid reader.  I never know what she has already read.  I send books I have enjoyed.  If she has read them, she will pass them on to others to read.  After over an hour at the store, I was pretty pleased at what I had found...multi-grain Pringles chips, Nature Valley granola bars, Oat Fit 100 calorie oatmeal, prepackaged whole grain pasta dinners that you only need add hot water, all natural peanut butter, a new crystal light "pure fitness".  Its so new, its not even on their website.  http://www.kraftbrands.com/crystallight/Pages/default.aspx#/pure-flavors   I also picked up some pistachios for her sweetie.  Sorry, no beef jerky or sugary cookies this time.  This is meant to be a "health" care package.
  Well, when I tried to get it all in, it wouldn't fit in the mailing box I had gotten from the post office.  Ugh.  So, I had to go to the overflow mailing bag for her last book, "The Help" and the additional "special wrapped presents" (an early birthday present...just from me).  I'm sure her dad will want to send more later just from him (especially since I'm not going to tell him what I sent).  : )
   Now that everything is boxed and bagged, I can relax for a bit.  I'll mail them later in the week.  I have plenty of time.  It funny, like all our kids, I wish she were here.  She lived with us for the year prior to her assignment.  It was wonderful having another woman in the house.  I always miss her most when I go shopping, when we cook dinner together, or just when I sit down to watch shows like American Idol.  But, they grow up fast.  They finish school, they have adventures, they fall in love... I'm just glad they let us send care packages.  Sometimes, its the only way we can reach out and say..."I love you."      

No comments:

Post a Comment