Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Baby Boomer Diet

   Used to be, when I thought of the term "baby boom or baby boomer", I only thought of the 1987 Romantic Comedy starring Diane Keaton and Sam Shepard.  "Baby boomers" were...well, old.  That's what I thought.  Until one day my husband informed me that I too was indeed a "Baby Boomer".  I'm not old!  
  Well, you know me.  I question everything.  I looked it up.  Turns out, baby boomers are defined as those born between (and including) 1946 and 1964.  I was born in 1963.  Maybe he was right.  But as baby boomer's go, I am definitely on the young side.  In my opinion, its important to hold on to that youth wherever you can.  Is 50 the new 30?  Who knows?  Sometimes, I feel 20 after a good workout.  
   Anyway, being a baby boomer isn't so bad.  They even have NABB, the National Association of Baby Boomers.  http://www.babyboomers.com/  Personally, I'm not quite ready to talk about what its like being a grandparent or even retirement living, but I'm sure we aren't far off.  Right now, we are still at the dream stage.     
   I'm not ready for the rocking chair.  Nowadays, my focus is staying in shape and helping others to get to where they want to be.  So, this morning, on a somewhat rainy first day of summer, I found myself watching "The Today Show" after my workout...I call it research.  They had a segment on what baby boomers should be eating to stay on track.  They opened with "As we age, our dietary needs change".  Duh.  Still, I listened.     

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43479617#43479617
   Greek yogurt for protein and calcium, red and purple berries for antioxidants, fish and omega-3's, cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and similar green leafy vegetables), beans and/or hummus.  Add plenty of water, and that's pretty much my regular diet (excluding a daily cup of decaf coffee and maybe a glass of wine in the evening).  Just in case, I glanced over my food and exercise journal.  The memory isn't what it used to be.  Mmm...I think I can blame Gulf War Illness or Fybromyalgia for that one.
   We all know, sometimes, its difficult to stay on track.  You might be traveling a lot or just not near the fresh foods your body needs.  It those instances, you just need to improvise, overcome, and adapt.  For example, I keep plenty of frozen microwave veggies (the ones in the steamer/steam fresh bags) on hand.  We always keep protein bars and granola bars in the house.  They are filling and easy to grab when you are busy.      
   On vacation?  Try to find a place with a refrigerator/freezer in the room.  Bring your own healthier stash of foods and try to resist the urge to eat out every night.  If you do have to eat out, make good choices.  Don't hesitate to eat half (restaurants give huge portions) and bring the rest back to the room.  Or...share an entree...its very romantic.  Order double veggies instead of a filler food such as chips, white rice, pasta, or potatoes.  Avoid fried foods and foods soaked in creamy sauces.  Don't deny yourself dessert, just choose wisely...try something small with fresh fruit...and get spoons or forks for everyone at the table.  Or have what I always have in the evening...that old favorite...sugar free Jello.    
    I can't wait for our next vacation.  Gone are the days that I just sit it out and watch for fear of twisting my back or knees.  Sure, they are still messed up, but I am stronger and smarter than I once was.  This year, I am going to play like never before.  I may miss out on some walking, but I'm sure I'll find other "fitness" activities to keep me busy.  One thing is for sure, now that I am a participant in this life rather than merely an observer, this little "Baby Boomer" is going to spend summer acting like a kid again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment