Saturday, June 25, 2011

What Happens When The Year Is Over?

   Last night, my husband and I met our friends at Winestyles http://www.winestyles.net/montclair.  Afterwards, we had a wonderful dinner at Giorgio's http://giorgiosfamilyrestaurant.com/ next door.  While we were waiting on our table, I asked my husband to order the hummus plate.  I had a craving for hummus.  I love hummus.  Anyway, he mistakenly asked another customer if she would bring us the appetizer.  She laughed and told him she didn't work there.  From the way she was dressed, all in black, she could have easily passed for one of the waitresses.
  We moved over to the restaurant area and ordered our dinners.  As always, we began with the flaming cheese (Saganaki).  I ordered a salad with dressing on side.  I have become so accustomed to the darker leafy lettuces, I just pick at lighter salads.  They bore me.  Mostly, I ate the feta and the cucumber, then set it aside.  After everything I've read about portion size and calories, I rarely if ever add the dressing.  What's the point if it adds nothing and costs so much in empty calories?  For my entree, I had the Salmon, veggies, and rice.  The wine was flowing, but I only had the one small sampling glass.  I knew, in the end, I would be the designated driver.
   The lady my husband had mistaken for the waitress earlier in the evening came over to our table in the restaurant.  My husband turned around and jokingly asked "Are you ready to take our order?"  She smiled and laughed.  The waitress was standing next to her.  She grabbed the waitresses pad and pen and pretended to write.  It was hilarious.  She fit right in to our group's usual sense of humor.  Had she not been there with her own friends, we might very well have invited her to join us.  She was dressed in the strangest clothes, not what you would expect for a wine tasting and/or dinner.  The folks I hang out with aren't what you would call shy, so it came as no surprise that someone asked why she was dressed the way she was.
   Turned out, she had come straight from work.  She was a personal trainer.  Seeing her made me wonder what happens when the year is over?  Six hundred and fifty six miles into my personal journey, it has finally hit me.  What will I do after I have accomplished my blog goal of 1000 miles in 2011 (or further)?   Where do I go from there?  I know I will continue to work out.  I love the way I feel now.  I love the fact that my body is lighter, stronger, and if I do get injured, I recover almost immediately.  My headaches are virtually gone.  I cannot remember the last time I had a back spasm.  Even my digestive system seems to be back on track.  Pain pills are no longer part of my vocabulary anymore.  Now I talk vitamins and whey protein.  Perimenopause?  Yeah, right.  I haven't had a symptom of that in ages.  In eating better and through my commitment to exercise, I feel like I have discovered the fountain of youth.
    But, once its all over, where do I go next?  What will be this broken old soldier's next mission?  Once, at a ceremony for a friend, someone mentioned my coming to their military installation and whipping their overweight soldiers back into shape.  I took it as joke, but could I actually do that?  Another friend asked if I could come speak to her military spouse's group.  I would do that in a heart beat.  Honestly, I would love to do it all.  I really love the idea of helping others who struggle with the same issues I do.  I guess I need to research, ask around.  Maybe I need to get some classes.  Officially, my Bachelor's degree is in counseling.  Would I even be able to attend classes?  Where?  And at what cost?  Would I have to do them on-line?  And what would be the end state of taking classes?  The idea of working as a personal trainer or motivational speaker intrigues me, but even with training, could I overcome my anxieties, my issues, enough to manage that face to face contact on such a obviously physical level?  Have I come far enough to actually return to work?  Until then, I will do what I do best...keep writing and hope the world is reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment