Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Are You Getting Enough?

 Who can forget the "Caddyshack" Baby Ruth in the pool or the little boy running through the streets covered in it in "Slumdog Millionaire"?  An occasional source of gross humor, no one really discusses it seriously until you get older.  That's really when you know you have reached a certain age.  Then, you are constantly asked, "Are you getting enough fiber in your diet?"
  What's the deal?  Why so sensitive?  And why do only older folks talk about it?  Do you need more when you get older or are you just happier then to spend that extra solitary time in the family "library" AKA the bathroom, the potty, the toilet, etc.  Maybe, it just that once you become older, with more maturity, you are more comfortable talking about it.  The way I see it, its not a big deal.  Let's face it, like the popular children's book that has helped many of us get our kids through potty training, "Everyone poops."  I mean, if you don't, you've got problems.
   I thought this was fun.  Click here for how to say "where is the bathroom?" in different languages.  See how many you have had to use before.  Being military, I have used several of these.  How many have you had to use?  http://www.wikihow.com/Say-%22Where-Is-the-Bathroom%22-in-Several-Different-Languages
Okay enough of that crap.  Sorry...couldn't resist.  Back to the real issue at hand.
  In the past, I never really took time to figure out how much fiber my body needed or even how I was getting it.  I suffered from what felt like a lifetime of chronic problems with constipation and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).  I spent 21 years in a uniform (not including Girl scouts).  In the Army, they fed you well, but not always healthy.  Over the years, it added up and eventually my body rebelled.  (I should note that the military has changed since.  They now offer more nutritious menus options).  I was miserable and tired.  My body was telling me I needed to act...if you know what I mean.  I didn't know where to turn.  The advice was always, "Just exercise more".  Ugh.  I know, right?  No one ever said, "Maybe its your diet.  Are you getting enough fiber?"  That's old people talk.  Warriors don't have time for that nonsense.  We were on the move, ready for action, fit to fight.  Uh huh... Meanwhile, the good old boys were blaming my stomach cramps on "female problems" no matter what time of the month it was.  That was just wrong on several points.  
  In the final years of my career, without better input, I tried popular rapid weight loss diets.  Bad idea.  I think my logic was, these folks are losing weight.  They must have good digestive systems.  If, like me, you have ever spent time on a certain diet that makes spending time in the "library" AKA the bathroom difficult (shhh...I'm talking about Atkins), then you know fiber is important.  If you don't get enough, you can become simply impossible to live with.  Just ask my husband.
   Its been years since I've had this issue, and believe me, I am happier because of it.  How did I get here, to this place of better digestive health?  Simple.  I educated myself.  I learned the ins and outs of it all, so to speak.  I learned to only put in what my body needs to function.  And unlike my earlier "Army training" days, I eat smarter.  By doing this, I keep the chronic pain in the past where it belongs.
  Try this.  According to this fiber calculator, I need 23 grams of fiber a day.  http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/fiber.asp  Sounds about right.

I liked these websites too.

http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/?page_id=137
http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/fruit-nutrition-chart.html
http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/vegetables-nutrition-chart.html
http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/nut-seed-nutrition-chart.html

The bottom line is...I feel better and I know I am getting enough.  Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment