Saturday, June 11, 2011

Time To Catch Up On Those Exercises I Missed

  What a crazy couple of days I've had.  My husband spent the morning with the doctors.  I had no idea what to expect, but I cut my workout short to only my walk because I was "on call" to come pick him up.  He never called.  He drove himself home.  I could have worked out longer had I known he didn't need a driver.  But, I didn't give him a hard time.  He had had a bad enough day without adding a nagging wife to the mixture.  Instead, I suggested he go down in the basement where its dark and cool.  He needed his rest.  After sending a couple of emails, he passed out and slept for several hours.
  Our youngest came home from school.  Now, his normal routine is to grab snacks and go down in the basement to watch television and do homework.  I stopped him at the door and told him dad was sleeping, not to go downstairs.  He didn't complain.  It was going to be a good night...the 8th grade dance.
  Before I dropped him off at the dance, my husband and I went back and forth with what to make for dinner.  I never really want to eat heavy on hot days.  We've had several of those lately.  In my mind, I was imagining Panera bread's new Strawberry poppyseed salad.  Its 340 calories of total yummy and its back for the season.  http://www.paneranutrition.com/  Instead, I kept quiet and asked him what he wanted.  He was sick and I thought it should be his choice.  Turns out, he had the same idea.  He suggested Thai food, which he knows I love.  Then we talked about just staying in and making parmesan chicken with Barilla plus pasta, but it seemed way too heavy, too filling.  I wanted light food.  Just thinking about pasta made me feel bloated.
  Since he was feeling a bit better after the long nap, we opted not to cook anything.  Instead, we let someone else cook.  We went to the VFW and ate.  They serve dinner on Friday nights.  I ordered Salmon cakes, green beans, and sauteed veggies.  My mom used to make salmon cakes when we were little.  Sorry mom, but these were better.  My husband?  He was a bad boy, had their fried chicken.  Since I was still in my "take care of the wounded husband" mood, I let it slide.  I don't even want to know how bad that fried chicken was for him.
  I picked up our son from the dance later in the evening and we were in for the night.  We had to get up early this morning for scout leadership training.  While he was a training, we had breakfast at a restaurant we've been going to for years.  Its home cooking at its best.  If I had any complaints, it would be that they never have fruit or yogurt on the menu.  So, I ordered a very tasty omelet with spinach and feta cheese, with wheat toast on the side.  He had the pepper, mushroom, and cheese omelet.  Instead of the normal home fries, we both ordered grits.  We had the same discussion we always have when we order grits..."What exactly is a grit?"  Well, in the end, neither of us could finish.  I only took a bite or two of the grits.  The omelet had filled us up.
  We still had tons of time before our son's class ended, so we went to a movie.  Full from the breakfast, we passed by the snack stand without getting anything.  We saw "Super 8".   It was excellent even at the high ticket price...IMAX matinee $11.00 each.   Four thumbs up... (we both loved it).  Super 8 is one of those movies where as soon as it is over, you want to see it again.  I told my husband I thought our youngest should see it with his friends.  Whatever you do, don't wait for the "on demand" or DVD version (though I know we will buy it later).  This movie is meant for the big screen.
  Its been a busy weekend and its only Saturday.  But I'm home now and I have no excuses.  Those exercises I let slide because I was on call to drive yesterday?  I can do them now.  I'll head down the basement and knock out my routine...push ups, sit ups, weight reps, and those ever popular butt lifts too.  I think I am going through an early change of life, but in a good way...with stronger arms, tighter abs and a tinier tushie.  : )

300 repetitions of weights, 50 Push ups, 100 butt lifts, 100 sit ups... done.  : )    

No comments:

Post a Comment