Sunday, June 12, 2011

"I Got Lured"

"Annie: Millie, you've got to stay out of the clubhouse. It'll just get everybody in trouble.
Millie: I got lured.
Annie: You didn't get "lured". Women never get lured. They're too strong and powerful for that. Now say it -- "I didn't get lured and I will take responsibility for my actions".
Millie: I didn't get lured and I will take responsibility for my actions.
Annie: That's better".  ~ Bull Durham 1988

Okay, "Bull Durham" is one of my absolute favorites when it comes to movie quotes.  If you haven't seen it in a while, watch it again and you'll understand what I mean.  
  The other day, I felt just like Millie.  I wasn't strong and powerful.  I indeed...got lured.  Not by a handsome minor league baseball player, but by a commercial with Kim Cattrall.  You all know Kim.  She's been around for years, from her early roles in movies like "Police Academy", "Big Trouble in Little China", "Mannequin", and "Porky's" to her most recent work in "Sex and the City".   
  Recently, she's been doing these "I can't believe its not butter" commercials.  I think she's probably the best spokesperson they've had.  I know, when they come on, I can't seem to look away.  Anyway, I was in the grocery store the other day picking up essentials.  One of them just happened to be butter.  I instinctively grabbed the one we always buy...the Land O' Lakes my husband has insisted I buy from the day we moved in together.  I think it is probably one of the things he grew up with.  
  I honed in on the real butter, and tossed it in the basket.  But then, thinking of the commercial, I also picked up the "I can't believe its not butter."  There were several flavors..so to speak, but I grabbed the original.  I'll admit, its full of those unpronounceable chemicals I try to stay away from.  But hey, to quote Millie, "I got lured."  So, I ended up heading to the checkout stand with both.  http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/home.aspx
   This morning, as my husband was heading out to mow the lawn, I asked if he wanted a piece of that delicious low calorie whole wheat cinnamon toast I bought.  He said sure.  "Do you want the real butter or the fake butter?"  Surprisingly, he answered, "The fake."  So, we had "I can't believe its not butter" on each of our 80 calorie pieces of raisin toast.  And you know what?  It wasn't bad.  It was actually quite tasty.    
  It you ever get lured like me, and well...refuse to take responsibility for your actions, here's how they compare (1 tbsp serving size).   That way, by reading this blog...you have at least become a more informed shopper...however impulsive you may seem.  : )  

                                   Real Butter                                               Fake Butter
Calories                      100                                                          70
Total Fat                     11g                                                          8g
Sat Fat                        7g                                                            2g
Trans Fat                     0g                                                           0g
Polyunsaturated Fat                                                                    4 g
Monounsaturated Fat                                                                  2 g
Sodium                        95mg                                                      90mg
Cholesterol                  30mg                                                       0g
Vitamin A                    8%                                                          10%
Omega 3 ALA            Not listed                                                 460mg

Ingredients of Real Butter:  Sweet cream, salt, milk
Ingredients of Fake Butter:  Vegetable Oil Blend (soybean oil, palm oil, palm kernel oil, canola oil), water, sweet cream, buttermilk, salt, mono and diglycerides, soy lecitin, milk, potassium sorbate, calcium disodium edta, citric acid, vitamin A palmate, beta carotene.  (note: Gluten free).

Maybe its not so bad to get lured now and then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment