Monday, June 27, 2011

The Mountain Getaway

  Dad had to work, but I desperately needed a break from the day to day routine I had established.  So, we packed up the car and headed to the mountains for a short excursion.  I have always loved this part of Virginia, and as we got closer and closer, I remembered why.  We saw no less than a half dozen dear grazing along the roads.  As we drove by, they would glance up as us, absolutely no fear of human contact.  I wanted to stop and take photos.  My son says,"Mom.  Come on.  Don't disturb.  Its nature."  He is so "my son." We signed in to our room and proceeded to unpack.  We established that we had a solid wifi connection and verified that there was HBO ("True blood" season premiere at 2100hrs).  So far, so good.  We had dinner at the "Fareways" Restaurant right off a beautiful golf course (I don't play golf, but it looked like a nice).  After I was handed a wine list, I was quickly reminded of my promise that this short vacation was to be a dry one.  Teenagers remember everything.  Oh well.  No wine.  I had water instead.  After dinner, we took a short walk up to the recreation center and played a game of pool/billiards.  It was close but, in the end, I lost to the thirteen year old.  The only part that really mattered was that he believed I threw the game in his favor.  Its important that he thought I was better.  We came home early.  I don't like driving after dark until I had reconned the area.
After "True blood", I watched "The Glades".  After "The Glades", I watched "Last Holiday", a Queen Latifah film.  After that, I tried to sleep.  But sleep was difficult.  The bed was harder than I am used to and as with most nights, I was hypersensitive to outside noises.  I may have gotten 4 hours of sleep.  I woke early and visited the in room coffee maker.  It was not my usual "Keurig".  I had brought the old type of coffee along, but when I approached it, I soon realized I had forgotten how to operate it.  I mean, how many scoops or tablespoons do you put in?  Ugh.  So, I called my husband who was on his way out the door for work.  "Honey, how many scoops do I put in those old coffee makers?"  He quickly asked about the size (a 10 or 12 cup), then set me on the right path.  Still, I made the coffee too strong.  Luckily, it was decaf mud.
Our youngest was still sleeping at this point,and I was getting anxious.  I got dressed and went for a short walk outside.  The mountain air was cool and refreshing.  After only a mile or so, I found it difficult to breathe easily.  I had forgotten my pedometer, so today, I would not log the miles.  I decided not to get upset about it.  After all, I had walked yesterday.  This little trip is not about logging miles.  Today will be all about the waterpark.  I will climb stairs and swim.  I will use muscles I rarely use.  I am glad its not deep.  Did I mention I am not the best swimmer?  

No comments:

Post a Comment