Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Conquering Old Fears


Yesterday was a big day.  After the gym experience, I came back to the room.  Once my son and I got going, we were difficult to stop.  We played 18 holes of mini golf, drove the go-carts, slid down the hill on the summer tube ride, and later...we hit the water park.  
   I should mention that he creamed me in mini golf.  No excuses there.  Its just not my game.  But we did have fun.  The go carts shake when they go fast.  I once had a car that did that, but that doesn't mean I like it.  I might leave future go carting to my son.  Then again, I like going fast.  When we headed over to the hill for the summer tubing, I worried a bit.  The last time we were here (several years ago), the tube ride aggravated the injury to my back and pretty much put me out of the fun for the whole day.  I told myself this vacation was all about letting go of fear.  And that included the fear of getting injured.  "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game", right? (Movie quote from "A Cinderella Story").  So, we rode down the tube ride a few times.  I spun around. I went so fast, I felt like I was flying.  In the end, my back felt fine.  
   We came back to the room for lunch, and then headed over to the water park for a few hours.  Over and over again, we went up the stairs for the tube rides.  We had a great time.  My favorite tube was the one that was pitch dark.  It was calming.  We went to the outside portion of the park to check out the wave pool.  I looked over and saw a massive slide.  "We have to do that."  So, we detoured around the wave pool and picked up slide mats.  On the way up the steep staircase, we looked at each other.  Having never done this ride before, we were both nervous.  We were nervous, yet excited.  We got to the top.  What had we done?  We had no clue as to how to go down this ride...and get this...it was face first!  I asked a teenage girl who had ridden before how she lay on this thing (the mat with handles).  She gave me a quick lesson and off we went.  What a ride!  It was totally awesome.  Okay, that sounded very immature.  It was exhilarating and quite refreshing.  Better?  After the water park, we cleaned up and went out to a nice dinner.  Very nice, because in the end, my son pulled out his money and paid.  : )  
   This morning, I made it to the gym again.  I just got on the treadmill, watched CNN, and imagined I was home.  
   Well, I'd better go.  Today, we are doing the Zip line...How many feet up is that?  474?  Ugh...  Just one more fear to conquer.  More on the zip line adventure tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment