Monday, January 31, 2011

Fitness Magazine

    Like many other women, I am a reader of fitness magazines.  I read them all, Shape, Women's Health, Fitness, etc...and my husband reads the men's fitness magazines.  There are a lot of great ideas for eating right, for getting and staying healthy.  I believe every doctor's office should carry these magazines.  There's almost always time for read.  Then again, if they did, they would probably have fewer patients.  Imagine that.
    Anyway, my husband and I were sitting together this morning having that first cup of coffee when I glanced over at my most recent copy of my favorite fitness magazine.  It suddenly hit me.  Why do they only put celebrities and super models on their covers?  Why don't they ever put normal everyday women on the cover?  They look amazing too.  He said, "Yeah, you should be on a cover."  Well, even though I didn't agree, I thought that was very sweet of him to say.  I'm no front pager, but I know there are women out there who are.  Seriously, aren't there any non celebrity women with stories even more interesting than those they now feature?  Granted, the celebrity models are gorgeous and most extremely talented in their art, but where are the soldiers, the teachers, the doctors, the office workers, the volunteers, etc?  I want to hear from them.  How are they staying in shape?  Most of us will never have a chef or a trainer to help us get fit.  Most of us are on our own everyday determined to be all we can be, to be healthy and fit individuals.  And sometimes, that in itself is a significant challenge.  Those are the women I want to see on the cover...super women.
    I'll give an example.  I remember one magazine a few months back.  It had a short article near the back on an amputee, a former soldier injured in the war.  She fought hard every day to stay in shape with all her injuries.  She was a runner with a prosthetic leg, but it didn't stop her.  That one article touched me to the core.  It was a truly inspirational read.  She should have been on the cover.
    Do I really care how some model keeps her beach body year round?  Not really.  I'd rather read how a teacher or a suburban housewife does it.  Feature one of them on the cover real and in person...with no makeup, no camouflage.  Honestly, who wears make up when they work out?  We are mature, intelligent readers.  So, there it is...my blog...my opinion.  Regardless, I will continue to read fitness magazines for all of their positive features.  And you know what?  I'll probably continue to whine.                  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment