Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Cookie Jar

   When I was a little girl, my Grandmother had a cookie jar filled with full size Hershey bars.  She would let me have one as a reward if I read the bible with her or even if I just behaved in church.  Some girls were accustomed to sitting in back row, giggling and painting their fingernails.  I've always liked chocolate, so I was usually good.  Since then, I've learned not to reward behavior with food.
    In our kitchen, there are bowls of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, pears, etc).  Whatever is in season, they are easy to grab, readily accessible.  Our cookie jar, unlike my Grandmother's, is filled with granola bars.  The crackers on the counter that our son goes for for an after school snack?  They are wheat thins or goldfish crackers.  The refrigerator is filled with snack size carrots, celery, string cheese, fruit cups, etc.  If I do buy chocolates, they are the minis and they are the most difficult to reach.  Kids (and husbands) will go for the easiest to reach snacks first.  We buy whole grain popcorn, whole grain chips, and unsalted nuts.
   It takes careful planning sometimes, but in time everyone becomes acclimated to the healthy change in their snacks.  After Halloween, our son even asked me to hide candy from him.  We didn't get a lot of trick or treaters.  There was a lot left over and he didn't want to be tempted.  
   So, if you build it (healthy habits in your home), they will come (to adapt).  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment