Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Second chances

    The other day, I was watching a news report where the first lady was talking about big changes at local Walmart stores.  I thought to myself, "That's nice."  Then, I found myself having to go there.  I'll admit it.  Normally, I avoid going to Walmart.  Its always been one of those places where I felt kind of claustrophobic.   The old guy at the door said hello.  After that, it was always hit or miss whether anyone helped and they always looked as if they really didn't want to be there.  I understood.  I had watched that Robert Greenwald documentary, "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Price".  
    Besides, Target was so much closer to where I live.  But, it is the only place in town that carries my favorite Jillian Michaels brand natural low calorie whey protein.  And Momma has to have her smoothies, right?  Hoping not to have to go, I even looked at labels of comparative brands at other stores.  Unfortunately, there is still nothing on the market that meets my very particular needs.  
    So, I headed to the dreaded Walmart parking lot.  I parked far away.  I do it for two reasons:  I like to walk and well, to avoid getting dinged by another shopper.  From the outside, it appeared that they were renovating.  I worried that there might be even more congestion in the aisles of the store, confusion from the renovation.
    But I was taken back by what I saw once I walked in.  The store had completely changed.  It looked much like my favorite Target store, clean and welcoming.  There was a new fresh grocery section.  It actually seemed as if they had enlarged the store.  And the prices were still reasonable.  I got lost but I didn't really care.  Customer Service Representatives were everywhere.  They smiled and said hello.  Besides, there was no need to rush.  I had no urge to be in and out as quickly as possible anymore.  
       On this day, even the cashier seemed happier.  Had I walked into an alternative universe?  Had Michelle Obama performed some miracle of this century, encouraging a healthier and happier Walmart with a greater selection to boot?  They even had my husband's favorite Boiled Peanuts.  One thing is for sure, they have cured my anxiety towards Walmart.  I'll be back.  And next time, I'll bring my shopping list.

No comments:

Post a Comment