Saturday, January 22, 2011

How to choose fruit

    How many of us have walked into our favorite supermarket produce section and thought how do I tell if a particular fruit is ripe?  I do it all the time.  I used to drag my husband along.  For some reason, he's better trained at figuring out if something is ripe or not yet ripe.  At least, I think he is.  He could be faking it for all I know.  I am that gullible when it comes to advice in choosing fruit in season.  Let's face it.  Some are simple.  Some are a challenge to the even the most intelligent shopper.  At our local Shopper's food warehouse, there is usually a produce manager willing to assist for only a smile.  That's right, I will innocently flirt to get a good ripe melon.  And at some stores, I am honestly overwhelmed by the limitless fruit section.  I swear I want to take pictures whenever I go in.  Its just that beautiful.  In case you are wondering.  I'm talking about Wegman's.  Its worth the price you'll pay and you need not bother anyone about what is ripe and what's not.  Its all good.  Giant, Bloom, and Safeway all have smaller fruit departments, but with a good variety.
    The warehouse stores, such as Costco, BJs, and Sam's have fresh fruit...but it comes in extremely large quantities.  So, if you can use it all before it goes bad, its a good deal.  I get my berries for my smoothies there.  Even Target has fresh fruit now.  When the larger chains run out of the blueberries, I can always count on Target.
    Of course, if you have the opportunity, its always best to shop locally grown.  Out for a drive in country?  Fruit stands at nearby orchards or farms are an experience you won't forget.  Or try a local farmer's market.  Take the kids.  Its a learning experience.
 
Here is an informative website I've found if you need a few pointers:

 http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/07/04/04/how-to-choose-the-best-fruit-in-the-produce-section-a-guide-for-15-common-fruits.htm    

No comments:

Post a Comment