Sunday, January 9, 2011

Powerful

    I rarely ever walk on weekends.  Its my recovery time.  But today, I walked five miles.  I needed to.  There are things that happen in our world that make us feel powerless to do anything.  Be it hunger, disease, flooding, or a senseless shooting, we are left wishing we could do something, even if its small, to help those in need.
    For years, I gave blood every two months, one pint at a time.  A universal donor, the Red Cross representatives would call me at home to let me know where I could go to give.  I was nearing my third gallon when I was abruptly stopped.  Why?  I was stopped because I had eaten meat, while stationed in Germany, back in the nineteen eighties.  Because of the fear of mad cow, they decided they no longer wanted my blood.  To this day, whenever I see a blood mobile, I stop and ask if, by some chance, the rules have changed.  I would like to give blood again, to do my small part.  Maybe someday.  If you are of age and meet the requirements, please try to give blood.  It really doesn't hurt much and it saves lives.
    This year, I walk for charity.  Beside the fact that I am getting healthier in the process, it makes me feel like I'm doing something to help, something positive.  My hope is that what I am doing will inspire others to reach out, to do what they can to help someone in need this year.  Spread the word.  Share ideas with family and friends.  Reach out.  Invite a friend to do something with you.  Volunteer your time if you can.  You don't have to be a celebrity.  You don't have to be wealthy.  We are all powerful.  And we can make a difference in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment