Monday, January 17, 2011

Rising above injury

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr. 


    When I woke, I wanted desperately to spend the day in bed.  Yesterday, when we arrived at church, I twisted my hip.  I wasn't even exercising.  I felt so stupid.  I was simply getting out of my husband's truck.  I guess the cold morning air had stiffened my muscles.  It caught me unprepared.   
    This morning, it still ached.  I had a choice to make.  I could spend the day laying around, popping ibuprofen or I could work out, albeit a bit slower than my usual pace.  It was rather tempting to choose the couch, but I chose to not focus on the pain.  I chose not to focus on the fear I have every time I exacerbate a previous injury.  Instead, I focused on the goal I have set for the year, on the thousand miles, my walk for charity.  
    In the end, I walked 5 miles on the treadmill.  I walked slower, but I finished the 5 miles.  I don't know if my little show of strength has anything to do with what Martin Luther King, Jr. meant, but it helped...and that's good enough for this woman...on this particular day in my history.         

No comments:

Post a Comment