Sunday, January 2, 2011

What I've learned about getting healthy

1) People will tell you getting healthy is complicated, but its not.  It is work.  It takes motivation, determination, and purpose, but being your personal best is not rocket science.  It doesn’t take an education.  There are people out there who care, who want to help you get healthy.  Between internet sites, books, magazines, television, DVDs, there are endless resources available to you.  For example, I love watching “The Biggest Loser”.  When it’s on, I do crunches on my living room floor.  What looks good to you?   You can do practically anything as long as you are off the couch and moving.  What inspires you?  Do you like to walk, run, dance, or work out with exercise DVDs?  Do you do yoga?  Do you enjoy sports?  Do you devote time each day to clean house, play with your kids, grocery shop, or walk the dog?  Do you mow the lawn, pull weeds, or garden?   There was a time back long ago when I taught aerobics classes.  Remember those?  While stationed in Korea, I taught aerobics to my soldiers in lieu of the boring physical training we did every day.  After my son was born, I took belly dancing classes.  Do you race to meetings all day?  Believe it or not, each of these incorporates some form of physical activity.  As long as you are off the couch, or not sitting behind a desk, count it.  The key is to find your personal inspiration and remember it can change over your lifetime.      

2) It doesn’t take a lot of money.  During Operation Desert Storm, soldiers would make what we called field expedient gyms to stay in shape.  During a war or even during a military exercise, you do what you have to do to stay in shape, to complete your mission.  It would be wonderful if we all had gym memberships and actually used them, but the plain truth is many buy them and never ever go.  Working out at home or with a neighbor is just as beneficial as going to an expensive gym.  Not that I have anything against gyms.  Gyms are great.  I’m just saying not belonging should not become an excuse. 

3) Keep a journal.  Every day, I write down what I eat, what I drink, and what I do for exercise.  Some days are good.  Some days are not so good.  But I have a record to keep me on track.  If I have an impulsive behavior, and eat or drink something I shouldn’t, I give myself a frown face.  If I eat healthy, I get smiley faces. I know it sounds rather juvenile, but it works.  It you prefer, give yourself a gold star or a special sticker like they do in elementary school.  The important thing is to be aware of what goes in to your body.  You will soon find yourself reading labels, buying fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and truly enjoying the experience of eating again.

4) Clean up your act.  Find the time to go through your refrigerator and pantry and clean it out.  I’ve found that once a month works great.  Take out all that expired food.  Read labels of what is left behind.  You know what is bad for you.  It is all just a temptation.   Now go out to your favorite grocery store and get something healthy.  Fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc.  You might discover that you really like something.  I have discovered hummus.  Recently, I have found that I feel better if I don’t eat meat.  I eat smaller meals over the day, but I get plenty of food.  If won’t be long before your body thanks you. 

5) No more excuses.  I used to do it.  “I’m too busy”.  “I don’t have time”.  “I stayed up too late last night.”  “I’ll start tomorrow”.  Trust me when I say tomorrow will be a better day if you start living better today. 

6) Take your vitamins.  I used to be one of those people who bought vitamins and then slowly watched them expire.  Then, I bought one of those pill containers that allow you to separate vitamins by day of the week.  So, every morning I take my vitamins with a big glass of water.  It fills me up.  Now, instead of two cups of coffee in the morning, I drink one and its decaf. 

7) Keep up with the required medical checks.  We all hate mammograms and pap smears and I really don’t look forward to that colonoscopy at 50.  I am a nervous wreck before every medical appointment.  My experience with doctors over the years has not been the best.  It seemed they always wanted to drug me up or sign me up for some lengthy therapy that wastes their time and mine.  I would prefer to get everything done through WebMd and self exams, but that isn’t smart.  I am not a spring chicken.  My family has a history of diabetes.  I grin and bear it.  Get check ups, write down your symptoms, plan your questions in advance, and hope for a patient, caring doctor who actually listens.  On my last doctor’s visit, I asked to be weaned off a medication I’ve been on the past seven or eight years.  I thought she would fall off her chair.  So I told her she could prescribe me a vitamin.  I think it made her feel better.     

8) It is never too late for a new beginning.  And no one is too broken to be healthy.  If you feel exhausted, hurt, anxious, depressed, scared, etc, eat better and exercise a bit more slowly.  When I feel bad, I stretch more.  I get more rest.  When I can, I nap.  I spent a great deal of my life in the military.  I’ve seen many, many doctors over the years for a multitude of issues.  My knees are shot, my back is screwed up, and most nights I wear long sleeves to bed so my arms don’t cramp up from carpal tunnel syndrome, etc, etc…But you know what? It doesn’t mean I have to spend my life on the couch whining that I am too broken to be my personal best.  My personal best is just a bit slower than it once was.  I can’t run anymore so I walk.  Like a woman on a mission, I walk.  And I lift weights.  I lift little five pound weights and fifteen pound kettle balls.  It has taken time, but I actually have visible muscles.  Ask my husband.  I can’t pass a mirror without flexing my newfound muscles.  And you can do it too.  I’m 47 years old and I actually weigh what I weighed when I graduated from Army basic training.  I still have injuries, but my butt is smaller than it once was.

9) Older and wiser doesn’t have to mean your boobs drop and your butt sags.  I have discovered, through exercise, how to keep the ladies from heading south and how to keep the backside from looking old.  It might take time, but it actually works.  I lost 15 pounds last year.  The ladies weren’t looking as perky as they once did.  I integrated a simple routine of free weights into my routine and they now look better than when I was in my 30’s.  And my husband loves them!             

No comments:

Post a Comment