Saturday, January 8, 2011

Get a mini makeover

    Eventually, no matter how you ignore it, age creeps up on you.  Whether its an innocent comment from one of your kids, an old ache you can't escape, or just a morning glance in the mirror, growing older is inevitable.  We all would prefer to do it in our own time and well...gracefully, if possible.  
    I turn 48 this year.  Slowly approaching the big 5 oh, I want, to get there feeling and looking my best.  Being a woman, I am told I have all the cards stacked against me with the big "M", if I so choose to believe that.  I have always been a fighter, willing to stand on someone's desk and raise hell for a noble cause.   As I see it, I cannot fight for others if I am sitting in my rocking chair complaining of my arthritis.  And yes, I do have both.  Love the rocking chair.  Hate the arthritis.  
    So, In an effort to slow the effects of age, I get a mini makeover now and then.  Like Madonna, I transition to a new woman, a new me.  I may color/cut my hair, get a facial, suffer through a pedicure (my feet are extremely ticklish), or well, just buy a new outfit that makes me feel beautiful.  Whatever works, you know?  
    Growing up, I had brothers.  I never had sisters to show me how to apply makeup, or to fix up my hair.  We didn't have money for the latest fad in clothes.  No internet, no videos...heck, we only had four or five television channels.  I didn't even have "Barbie" dolls.  
    Remember the movie "Flower Drum Song"?  The song "I enjoy being a girl"?  When I was a teen, I didn't get it.  Now I do.  I so enjoy being a girl.  I refuse to accept that the cards are stacked against me.  I will see the glass half full and "enjoy being a girl".  God willing, I will feel younger even if I do have to do a bit of lady maintenance along the way.   

No comments:

Post a Comment