Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fat Baby

       I watched "The Biggest Loser" last night.  During one run of commercials, I did sit ups.  During another, I went for water.  I never snack during the show.  It just seems wrong.  I absolutely love both the BL trainers, though I'm sure if I had to do the job, I'd be more like Jillian.  I was in the Army after all.
Everyone on the Biggest Loser has a story.  I guess we all do.
       From my very beginning, the day I came home from the hospital, I was labeled.  Though I was only 6 lbs, my eldest brother (age 10) gave me what he thought was an endearing nickname.  He affectionately called me “Fat Baby”.  My youngest brother taunted me with that name until I left home at 18.  Being fat in our family meant one was healthy, a good eater.  I can remember white bread sandwiches, pizza night, TV dinners, Spaghetti, Fried Chicken, burgers, hot dogs, processed lunch meats, etc.  There was the infamous favorite of mine, the mayonnaise sandwich.  On Sundays, my mother would make her special corned beef hash which consisted of canned corned beef watered down and poured over white bread.  Remember cooking with lard?  I do.  I don’t remember ever being concerned about getting my fruits and vegetables.  Most of the vegetables came from my grandmother’s garden.  There were a lot of tomatoes and snap beans.  On occasion, we did get corn on the cob.  Can I count pork and beans as a vegetable?  When puberty hit, I was told I had breeding hips.  But I believe that was a compliment.
       Though my weight fluctuated over the years, I was never really fat.  Where I came from, I was considered curvy.  Even so, I wasn't my personal best.  I still had bad eating habits.  I was in danger.  I had high cholesterol and a family history of diabetes.  Still, its easy to disregard your health when people around you tell you you look good.  
       The problem was I didn't feel good.  And I was missing things I didn't want to miss.  I was always in pain and I took way too many pills for that pain.  
I now see my active duty injuries as craters in the road of my life.  When I am exercising and eating right, I have the strength to face them without fear.  I become a fitness warrior.   
        Last night, before the show came on, we made Wasabi ginger stir fry veggies... broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc.  Very filling.  Neither of us could finish our meal.  For dessert, I had sugar free "Jello".  My husband low fat skinny cow ice cream.  Our son doesn't like spicy food.  He requested PB and J on whole wheat bread, carrots, peas, and applesauce.  Gone are days of fried chicken and white bread.  We are smarter than that now and I'm glad.    

No comments:

Post a Comment