Wednesday, February 2, 2011

You can teach old dogs new tricks

    The other day, our son was sitting at the kitchen table doing his homework.  I peeked over to see what he was working on.  It was for "Health" class.  He was answering questions about eating healthy.  Before that moment, I had no idea they had created a revised food pyramid.  I remember learning about the old food pyramid when I was a kid.  To be honest, it never really made since to me.  The new one makes since.
We can learn from our kids.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/food_pyramid.shtml

    For one, we aren't big breakfast people.  My husband and I have coffee together, then he heads out the door for work.  I make sure he has plenty of healthy snacks before he goes (bananas, pears, granola bars).  He gets hungry later in the morning.  Our son would eat pop tarts every morning if I didn't hassle him to have something healthy.  Because of his class schedule, he has less control of when he can have healthy snacks.  Me? I have my fruit smoothie after my workout...around 0930-1000.  We tend not to stick to that routine of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. . We try to eat when our bodies tell us to eat.  And we are getting better at having healthy foods readily available when we are hungry.

Fruit smoothie recipe
1 cup crushed ice
1 cup water
1 scoop whey protein
a handful of mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries...whatever you like)
1/2 banana
1 to 2 tablespoons wheat germ

    Around 1200hrs, I'll begin to get a bit hungry.  Usually, that's when I have my favorite yogurt.  I like Greek yogurt because its higher in protein.  I need that because I am eating less meat nowadays.  I like to sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the bear naked granola on top to give it a flavorful crunch.  This is also an opportunity to get some healthy whole grains.
    On/about 1400hrs, I have a healthy snack...carrots and hummus or celery and crunchy peanut butter (I have a weakness for peanut butter).
    When our son comes home from school, he is always starving.  He'll grab crackers (little does he know, they are whole wheat) or string cheese.
    Around 1600hrs, I'll have another snack (a fruit...apple, pear, orange, etc).
For dinner, we'll eat light.  Its gotten so my husband requests a light dinner.  Sometimes, we'll eat only veggies.  Sometimes, we have fish and a veggie or baked chicken and veggies.  Our starches come in the form of peas, corn, beans, sweet potatoes, a healthy pasta (whole wheat, high protein, or high omega-3), or brown rice.  
    Sometimes we just have an indoor picnic next to the fireplace...with fruit, cheese and crackers and a glass of wine (very romantic).
    Dessert?  Sure.  Why not?  Try 10 calorie Jello (my favorite) or Skinny Cow ice cream (my husband's favorite).  Or try those sugar free mini chocolates (dark chocolate, peppermint patties, caramels, or peanut butter cups.
    Note:  Drink plenty of water throughout the day.  Avoid sodas (I have a cardinal rule.  No soda unless its a mixer...and I'm not a big drinker).  I cannot remember the last time I had soda.  Once you break the addiction, they start to taste like syrup.  Yuck.  
    I remember my mom used to always say "No snacking before dinner."  But I've learned that we don't have to live by the rules our parents lived by.  The food pyramid changed.  So can we.  We can eat what our bodies need without focusing on three big meals a day.  I eat mini meals all day long (and now I'm my own mini me).  Remember, its not the time we eat that counts.  Its what we eat that really matters.
          
    

No comments:

Post a Comment