Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Daily Dose

    One of the first things I did in my effort to get healthy was to get better at taking my vitamins.  I have tried taking those vitapaks they sell in the local GNC, the ones with the horse pills..painful.  They never failed to make me sick to my stomach.  Too many pills...too intimidating...and I would always fight that horrible gag reflex.
    I tried taking multivitamins.  Our cabinets are filled with vitamins I've tried (note: I need to clean out cabinets).  From Centrum to One A Day to well, whatever looked as if it would fit the bill and give my what I needed as I grew older.  I was actually tempted to buy those prenatal vitamins again because of how wonderful they made my nails and hair look.  : ). But, like the others, they too made me literally sick even if I took them with food.  There was no winning this battle...so I thought.
    I knew they were important, but honestly, taking vitamins shouldn't be so much of a challenge.  Anyway, what vitamins did I really need?  As I said in a previous blog, I went to doctor.  Once I had her wean me off the preventative migraine medication, I felt clean and clear of what I considered drugs.  I asked for advice on vitamins.  She said all I really needed was a multivitamin.  I cringed.  Ugh...isn't there a gummy bear for adults?  A cherry or grape liquid perhaps?  I knew I needed something.  After all, I was eating less.  I was eating better, but still, I had to be missing out on some important vitamin.  And I am not the Spring Chicken I once was, able to go all day on my morning cup of coffee...especially now that I had switched to decaf.
    In the end, she gave me a small, easy to swallow vitamin.  I added a gel Omega-3 supplement (Alaskan Salmon), some Biotin for my hair, skin and nails, and a daily calcium chew.
    The calcium chews I am using now are Caltrate, only because I ran out of my favorites.  GNC's caramel chews are good, but I really need to get back over to the mall vitamin store.  They had the best tasting chews.  Its important to get enough calcium.  One of these chews provides half of what a woman needs for each day.  Did I mention I don't drink milk anymore?  I drink soy milk, soy creamer, etc (an excellent source of protein).  I do get calcium from the yogurt and well, cheese...but I like to take the calcium chews as a supplement.
    If you want to try a dietary supplement, go for it.  Personally, I have tried the Jillian Michaels Fat Burner pills.  They are mostly caffeine, but they do give you an extra boost.  If you try them, make sure you take only half the recommended dose.  Two a day are plenty.  More than that and you might get the jitters.  According to the folks at GNC, they are too potent for many people.  Also, if you take them, do not drink caffeinated drinks (yes, that includes soda...which we all know is poison anyway, right?).  If these pills are too strong, I have heard good things about "Alli" also.
    Make sure, whatever you do, you get enough protein during the day...especially if you are working out.  How much protein do I need and where do I get it?  Let's see, I do drink whey protein in my morning smoothies...thats fifteen grams right off the bat.  Its a start, but where I get the rest?  I don't drink milk anymore, but I do drink soy (more protein there) and I don't eat meat on a regular basis.  Mmmm...there's nuts... ugh...time to research...maybe this will help you also.  


How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:
1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.
Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.
Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

Foods that contain all the essential amino acids are called complete proteins.  These foods include beef, chicken, fish, eggs, milk (animal sources).  


But you can get your protein without adding the meat:  (I have some favorites in this list)...


GrainsLegumesSeeds & NutsVegetables
BarleyBeansSesame SeedsLeafy Greens
Corn MealLentilsSunflower SeedsBroccoli
OatsPeasWalnuts
RicePeanutsCashews
PastaSoy ProductsOther Nuts
Whole Grain Breads
http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/protein-food.php




***Its always best to get what vitamins you can from foods, but be careful to choose what you eat wisely (After all...not too many vitamins in a twinkie, right?).  And don't forget, the family needs their vitamins too.  : )


No comments:

Post a Comment