Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Finding My Super Power

   There is a question on the blogger interview that asks, what is your superpower?  When I saw that, I honestly had to skip it.  I told myself I would go back to it later.  Did I have a super power?  I have friends with super powers.  Some are super smart.  Some are tenacious beyond belief.  Some have incredible style.  One even has a super memory.  What was my super power?  And what makes it super?  Sure, I can spot a bargain.  Does that me a super shopper?  Well, I didn't think I would be proud to label myself the super spender.  It wouldn't fit on a costume.  Besides, I can't really say I am so super when it comes to remembering to bring those coupons that I cut to the store.  Maybe I am just frugal, thrifty...not yet super.
   So, was I a super athlete?  I work out every day.  I have even gotten to the point where my body seems to be producing a pain suppressing chemical making working out a somewhat pleasurable experience.  I would go so far as to say I have become addicted to getting my workout, not a bad addiction to have.  But, was I indeed an athlete?  I can walk for days.  I can do weights.  I can do hundreds of sit ups without stopping, but I can't do a deep knee bend and I struggle with more than one or two pull ups.  Really, to be a super athlete, don't you need to be good at more than one thing?  You really don't want to watch me play sports.  I'm not super at any of those.
   My husband is easy.  He is one of those "on target" men.  While active duty, he was an expert shot.  I never saw him miss.  Even now, as a civilian, be it at home at work, or at play, he is incredibly focused.  He is on target when it comes to the mission at hand...whatever it may be.  It is his super power.  His slogan would be "Follow me, I know the way" and he really would...know the way.          
   To be officially titled super, I figured I needed to be known for it.  Someone out there had to call you by that super power.  Superman could fly, leap tall buildings in a single bound, see through walls, etc.  Wonder Woman could repel bullets with her magic bracelets, overpower the bad guys with her strength, and fly an invisible airplane.  One thing was for sure.  I wasn't going to find my super power in a comic book.
   So, where does an old broken soldier find their super power?  After a lot of thought, I decided...
I did have a super power.  And it was there all the time.  
   From the time I persuaded my superiors to let me lead my soldiers into Kuwait City (long story..they wanted a male officer to take my place...too dangerous for a female and all) to the time I just said "no" to a simple chocolate cake at a friend's party.  It was there in my actions and it was not deterred by any injury I might have sustained.
   My super power is my will, my determination, my ability to make a choice and stick to it.  This gives me my energy.  It guides me in my purpose to be a healthier, more fit human being...
Yes, willpower was my super power.  Hey, that will even fit on a costume.
What is your super power?
February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment