Friday, February 11, 2011

Just for the ladies

   I wish it were as easy as just walking, but in order to truly get fit, we need more than cardiovascular exercises. Today, I want to talk about "the ladies".  That's what I call them.  Over the centuries, they have been strapped down, let loose, elevated, pointed, and pressed.  They feed our babies.  Men are sometimes hypnotized by them.  We take them to the doctor for regular check ups.  And as we grow older, they head south.
   Basically, they are just muscle and fat, but no one will question that are a major element in our self esteem.
I can remember, at age eleven or twelve, asking my mother to buy me a training bra.  My father controlled the money.  He said no.  He thought it was a waste of money.  Most girls in my school had training bras.  Me?  I walked around embarrassed, with only my books to cover my tiny breasts.  One of my friends gave a padded bra she no longer needed.  I went from an A cup to a C cup overnight.  Let me tell you...that was a banner day at school.  I took that thing off right away.  After that sudden shrinkage, I became a "carpenter's delight"...flat as a board.  By thirteen, my father lost the argument over wasting good money on a bra.  I was fully developed. Well, as full as I was going be before getting pregnant.  I was one of the lucky ones.  I nursed our son for eighteen months.  After that, I had to buy all new bras.  The ladies had stayed relatively healthy...so to speak.
    Last year, when I lost on/about 15 pounds, I noticed the ladies were beginning to head south.  I knew the day would come, but it seemed rather odd that it would happen so suddenly.  I blamed it on the weight loss.  I loved losing weight in my butt and thighs, but what a cruel trick of nature for me to lose the fat in my breasts.  Come on...couldn't I keep some fat?  Couldn't I hold on to the only fat that my husband seems to approve of.
   I didn't panic.  Instead, I started searching the internet for ideas.  I started slow with the exercises, but in no time at all, I noticed a difference.  The ladies could defy gravity...in a natural way.  All I needed to do was change a few habits and do a few simple exercises.  Easy.  
   Today, the ladies are quite happy...if you know what I mean.  What you need to remember is to be very careful when buying your exercise bra.  Make sure it fits properly.  Try it on.  Bounce up and down.  How does it feel?  Do the ladies stay put?
    Do your everyday bras provide enough support?  Remember, the ladies change over time.  Only you know best what fits.  Don't rely on that salesperson at Victoria's Secret.  Try on several sizes and types.  I have found if I try on several bras of the same size, but different types, one bra will fit and one won't.
    And lastly, what do you sleep in?  I actually saw this on an Oprah show.  Someone told her on the show that they wear a bra to bed.  She said she also wore one.  Me? I don't.  That sounds very uncomfortable.  And I'm all about the comfort.  What I do is I wear a tank top with a built in support bra.  It gives me the support I need when I am sleeping, yet it is comfortable.  At 47, I am all about the comfortable sleepwear.  Maybe it isn't sexy, but you can never neglect the ladies, you know?  Its a 24 hour additional duty.
   Lastly, remember, with the fat, there is muscle you can build up...like any other muscle.   Here are a few exercises I do for upper body:  10 reps each 10 times...(I like round numbers). See photos.  Don't worry if you can't do so many.  I had to work up to this.  The key is high rep, low weight.  I lift only 5 lbs, but it has worked for me.  Eventually, you can add back lifts and side lifts.  These are pretty basic.  The kettle bells (exercise 3) also come with a DVD with additional ideas.  The kettle bells I use are both the 10 and 15lb.  Good luck.
exercise 1 position 1
exercise 1 position 2

exercise 2 position 1

exercise 2 position 2





    
 
exercise 3 position 1
exercise 3 position 2

No comments:

Post a Comment