Thursday, February 10, 2011

Come on already...Make me sweat like a man

    Snow day in our county.  No school today.  Even my husband decided to go into work a little later than usual.  It was going to be a full day and he really wanted to get in a workout.  This would be his only opportunity.
    What that meant to me was a delay in getting on the treadmill.  As my stepdaughter says, "no worries".  I would adapt to the change and let him go first.  That's called love.  Not wanting to lose valuable work out time, I popped in a walking DVD.   I decided to try my Biggest Loser Power Walk.  Always having an alternative plan, I hadn't really tried it since I bought it.  I was curious to check it out.
    After a mile of steady walking combined with some arm exercises here and there, I realized I wasn't really working hard.  It was too easy for me.  No matter what they did, they couldn't make me sweat.  Was my living room too cool?  No.  Why in the world wasn't I working up a sweat?  These people are experts.  Right?
    Besides, didn't Leslie Sansone used to make me sweat?   Initially yes, but then I remembered.  I eventually gave my neighbor the walk with weights DVD because it was too easy.  I bought the five mile walk DVD.  But after I had done her five mile walk for a few months, it too got too easy.  I would be into the fifth mile before I began to feel it, that wonderful burn that told me I was achieving something.  I needed more of a challenge.  That's why I added the weight training.    
   April will make a year that I've been seriously walking.  Had all the DVDs become too slow?  Had I outgrown them, transitioned into a little walking speed demon?  Now what?  I mean, I wanted a good workout.  I wanted to sweat.  With my husband using the treadmill, what was I supposed to do now?
   I kept walking with the DVD.  They added some shadow boxing with weights.  Still, no sweating.  Just before I was about to give up and do weight training (as we completed the second mile), my husband came upstairs.  "Treadmill is free."  Alright!  Time to really work out.  In no time at all, I was back on the treadmill.  Five miles later, I was drenched.  Glorious!  I grabbed a towel (I keep towels readily available in our workout room) and did my weight routine.  One hundred reps of each exercise, followed by 50 repetitions of kettle bell lifts.
***NOTE:  If you wear shape ups, make sure you remove your shoes before you do weights.  It helps with balance and control.
   After my shower (which I truly earned), I watched the last episode of Biggest Loser on demand.  I missed it the other night and I needed to catch up.
   I still have the tissues handy, but my cold is much better today.  I think all the sweating has helped.  Out with the bad, and in with the good, I drank a big glass of water.  Don't forget to hydrate.
   You know, I once heard someone say, "Men perspire, but women glow."  Well, I guess I am an over achiever because there is no doubt in my military mind that this woman does more than glow or perspire.  She  sweats.  And today, I'm proud to say, I was sweating like a man.  : )
What can I say?  Getting fit isn't meant to be pretty.  
Until tomorrow, the treadmill is free.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101007210546.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment