Saturday, February 12, 2011

Easy night in

   Last night, our son had a school dance.  He said they were ordering pizza's.  No problem.  My husband and I decided to take it easy.  I have been so sick this week, why not enjoy an easy night in?  He even volunteered to make me a lovely dinner.  So, I sat down with a glass of my favorite wine (Francis Coppola Cabernet Sauvignon) and watched the news as he cooked.
   When I was a young girl, my home was quite small.  The kitchen was probably smaller than our current bedroom walk in closet.  Every time I would go in the kitchen to assist and well, try to absorb what my mother was doing, she would say, "Get out from under my feet.  This kitchen ain't big enough for the two of us."  Try to imagine that said with a Southern accent.
    Desperate to learn what I believed all little girls should have in their pocketbook of lady skills, I watched my Grandmother (my father's mom) who happened to have lived merely two blocks away.  That's a story in itself.  Even after my parents married, she had serious issues with letting go.  My Grandmother's kitchen was just as small, but she didn't seem to have as much of an issue with my hovering over her as she created.  The only problem was my lessons consisted of primarily typical Southern foods.  There wasn't much variety.  When I finally left home, my mother gave me one piece of advice that I listened to.  She said, "Make sure you marry a man that can cook."  My husband is indeed one of those lucky finds.  He can, in fact, cook.  His mother understood cooking as a skill all young men should have.  Well, unlike my Grandmother, he loves to experiment in the kitchen (though he usually creates a huge mess in the process).  Lately, we have been extraordinarily creative in our efforts to...as he says, "Keep it light".

Last nights recipe was as follows:

2 Thawed Tilapia fillets
Put in a lightly greased baking dish
baste heavily with the 1 1/2 tbsn melted butter (or butter substitute if you prefer) and
1 heaping tbsn Phillips Authentic Blackening Seasoning
Put in 425 degrees for approximately 10-12 minutes (check for flakiness)

Glory collard greens heated in a small sauce pan

Microwave "Steam in the bag" whole grain brown rice (see below for a tasty option)

The bottom line?  "Easy pleasy" and relatively light

If only my Grandmother were here.  Her hours in the kitchen replaced by our minute meal for two.  : )
  
http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=565175&storeId=10052&langId=-1

    Want to hear the punch line?  Our son came home around 2030hrs (8:30pm).  The school never ordered pizza for the kids.  His dinner consisted of chips and soda.  ugh...  "What we had here was a failure to communicate".  The parent guilt rapidly set in.  After all, we had had a lovely dinner.  We quickly made him a PB and J on whole wheat bread and added an apple.  I know it was late, but we had to give the boy something, right?  And well, he was happy.  And as it turned out, he had a wonderful time at the dance.  All is well.
    Today, for lunch, we would create a pizza with Boboli 100% whole wheat Italian pizza crust.  Family fun in the kitchen to make up for what he missed.  Because like father, like son, he likes to experiment in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment