Saturday, February 5, 2011

Is this host whole wheat?

    Checking my email, I discovered that tomorrow is "Scout Sunday".  Since we know that active involvement in church will help our son be more "reverent", we will go to church.  He will wear his boy scout uniform.  I'll admit my involvement in religious activities hasn't been perfect over the years.  Its sometimes difficult to enforce a behavior that I myself question...selecting a particular faith and sticking to it.  Besides, as we grow and mature, our beliefs change.  I know mine have.  
    As a young child, I was made to attend church services with my Grandmother.  She was Evangelical Christian.  It was a country church.  They yelled a lot and they spoke in tongues.  They ate all the time.  I think its how they got folks to attend..pancake breakfasts...then huge fellowship buffets after the service.  To me, it was a confusing experience.
    In the bible, people never ate this much.  And when they did have food, they always shared it with those who had none.  I never saw that side.  I saw only gluttonous behavior.  Where were all the hungry people?  As young as I was, I still questioned such abundance...Why were we stuffing our faces?  Why weren't we helping those in need?
    By age eleven, I had had enough.  I needed a change.  I asked my mother to allow me to attend her church.  She was Episcopalian.  One thing I noticed was, they were in better shape.  They had fewer church banquets.  And well, they drank wine in lieu of grape juice at communion...which I confess was pretty cool.  I remember attending an evening youth event where everyone was to bring in two cans of vegetables.  One was for the hobo stew they were making, the other for charity, a food closet I believe...for the needy in the community.  I stayed with them until I joined the Army.
    When I joined the military, we had to choose between Catholic and Protestant services.  I leaned towards Catholic at first, but they were too restrictive for me.  Over my military years, I studied several religions, looking for one that was just right.  But in the end, I realized like my diet regime, I didn't need to choose.  I could take what I wanted from each and make it my own.  I could pray.  I could believe.  I could be a faithful, spiritual person regardless of affiliation.
    Nowadays, we attend an Episcopalian service.  We don't go every Sunday, but when we do, we benefit from the experience.  They are accepting, and they give a welcoming place to worship.  Sometimes you need that, especially on days like Christmas, Easter, and well, Scout Sunday.
    So, as I kneel before the alter and pray, faithful yet determined to stay on track, I have only one question..."Is this host whole wheat?"
 Faith

      

No comments:

Post a Comment