Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sometimes you have to meet them half way

    I've been fighting a horrible cold today, but I refuse to let it spoil Super Bowl Sunday.  You see, this year is different than previous years I have attended the neighborhood party to watch the game.  To be honest, I only used to watch for the commercials.  In previous years, I would take potty breaks during the game just to make sure I didn't miss the best commercials of the year.  I already have a favorite.  I love the car commercial with the little boy dressed like Darth Vader.  You'll understand after you see it.  Also, who can resist the commercials with the E trade baby?
   This year, with the help of my patient husband, I actually understand the game and can follow it like a true fan.  And even though my favorite team won't be there, I want to watch.  Its not just a social event.  I am actually looking forward to watching.
    When I first started watching football this season, my husband would look at me like I'd been replaced by an alien entity.  "Who is this woman and what did she do with my wife?"
    In a previous blog, I suggested some healthy snacks to have at your Super Bowl party.  Well, unfortunately, not everyone in your family will want to eat healthy at social events such as these.  My husband insisted he make his famous sausage stuffed mushrooms.  I won't be having those.  And our son thought brownies would be wonderful to bring.  I agreed, but only if I could make the dark chocolate ones.  Antioxidants, right?  Healthy brownies?  I know that's pushing it, but hey, I won't be having those either.
    The thing to remember is that social gatherings are for everyone, not just those seeking to be more healthy and fit.  After I thought about it, I decided that it wasn't worth an argument.  Super Bowl Sunday comes only once a year.  And well, tomorrow everything goes back to normal.  I only cook healthy now.
    Today, I would also add a healthy option...a veggie platter.  I opted for green pepper, broccoli, yellow tomatoes, and yellow peppers in support of the Packers, but I could have made a platter with black olives and yellow peppers in support of the Steelers.   I added a healthy hummus dip.   The point was to be creative, and to have fun with it.
    So, cold be damned, I will be there at the neighborhood party.  I will enjoy myself.  And despite the tempting appetizers and decadent desserts, I will stay on track snacking healthy...

No comments:

Post a Comment